Welcome to Dame Alice Owen's School
It is my pleasure to welcome you to Dame Alice Owen’s School.
We are incredibly proud of our school and I hope that our website gives you some indication of the reasons why.
Dame Alice Owen’s is a school steeped in tradition and history. It is a school of academic excellence and commitment to extracurricular opportunities. Much of what we do at Owen’s is supported by the generous support of the Worshipful Company of Brewers to whom we are continually grateful.
We are a school which believes in helping our staff and students discover and continually develop the special skills and talents they have; we are unashamedly academic in our approach to the curriculum and teaching and learning underpins everything that we do.
Our close working relationship with our parent body is crucial to us and together we work hard to develop a keen intellectual curiosity in our young people as well as developing the skills they need to lead happy and successful lives. We place great emphasis on helping students become resilient to life’s setbacks through strong pastoral care and are proud of our traditional values of respect for each other, good manners and a smart appearance.
As stated in “The Owen’s Way,” we are a school keen to ensure wenever stop learning and our teachers enjoy embracing the changes we feel enhance the education of our students. Our innovative approach to the curriculum and new technologies helps us ensure we are preparing our young people for a world, and indeed jobs, which have yet to be invented.
Our staff work tirelessly to provide the best education they can and our students are keen to push themselves to get the most out of every lesson we deliver. We do not believe however, that education stops at the classroom door. Through our plethora of sporting, musical, dramatic, artistic, technological and enriched curriculum opportunities we aim to help our students become the very best, rounded individuals that they can be. Moreover, we offer a vast array of educational visits for students to participate in so that friendships and the sense of school community are deepened.
There are numerous opportunities to visit the school throughout the academic year. Please feel free to come and see what we do for yourselves! The links above will help answer your questions about admissions but for specific enquiries about our school please contact us at the email address at the top of this page.
Mrs Hannah Nemko, Headteacher
- To enable pupils to achieve their highest standards of academic, cultural and sporting excellence.
- To maintain the distinctive character of the school based on its long heritage and close links with the Trustees of the Dame Alice Owen Foundation.
- To provide the optimum standard of facilities and resources to respond to the changes and development in education.
- To achieve the best academic results for which each pupil is capable.
- To provide a stimulating, ordered and disciplined environment in which all pupils can learn and thrive.
- To prepare pupils for responsible adult life.
- To provide pupils with the skills needed in the changing world of work.
- To offer a wide range of extracurricular activities.
- To create a caring and friendly environment caring for individual needs.
- To encourage a sense of pride in belonging to the school.
- To promote respect and understanding of religious and moral values within the framework of the Christian tradition and inclusive of other faiths and cultures.
- To develop self respect and respect for others.
- To enable pupils to benefit from the history, tradition and experience of the Dame Alice Owen Foundation and the Governing Body.
Values and Ethos
- Aiming High – striving for excellence, high achievement and personal improvement whilst developing challenging, creative and enquiring minds.
- Personal Development – being involved, committed and enthusiastic members of the school community and beyond, developing self-confidence, respect and discipline whilst valuing tolerance, honesty, loyalty and service to others.
- Getting Things Done – focussing on commitment, accountability and productivity through effective time management and communication whilst learning from mistakes and accepting constructive review.
- The Strength of Partnership – understanding how to contribute to and benefit from partnerships and communities through involvement in extracurricular, artistic, sporting and charitable activities within the context of the tradition of The Dame Alice Owen Foundation.
The school is exceptionally well-resourced with specialist rooms equipped to a high standard and every subject having its own dedicated areas. There is an extensive computer network system.
We are continually developing our Virtual Learning Environment, harnessing the power of technology to make it easier for teachers, students, parents and governors to communicate and give improved access to information and learning materials.
Our Library featuers an impressive collection of books and magazines along with computer terminals with intranet and internet access.
Facilities available to the Modern Foreign Languages department are outstanding. All MFL classrooms are equipped with interactive whiteboards and there are two recently installed state of the art digital language laboratories that are used by Key Stage 4 and 5 students to enhance their learning experience.
The Music department is well staffed and resourced, with a concert hall, three specialist classrooms, numerous practice rooms, a recital and rehearsal studio and a new recording studio.
The sports facilities include a gymnasium, all-weather pitch, tennis and netball courts, sports pavilion and extensive playing fields and grounds
Learning Support (LS) Department for Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND)
Full inclusion is a high priority and we encourage all students to take an active role in their learning and all aspects of school life.
Helping everyone fulfil their potential
The school maintains a LS register of students identified with statements of SEND. All staff have access to the LS register via the school intranet and Life VLE (Virtual Learning Environment). There is close liaison between the LS Department and all pastoral and subject staff to ensure progress is monitored, and any provision adjusted when necessary.
Our aim is to ensure all students have access to the full curriculum as much as possible, but also to give individual help when it is needed. This is achieved by a flexible combination of extra support within lessons and some withdrawal in very small groups on occasions.
The school is proud of its outstanding success in public examinations, consistently recognised as some of the best results in the country. Excellent results are mirrored by the enthusiasm and determination with which each and every subject is studied by all our students. Personal well being and academic success is encouraged by a highly supportive pastoral care system which incudes Form Tutors, Head of Student Progress and Assistant Heads.
Academic standards are exceptionally high in the Sixth Form, with results placing us amongst the top state schools at A Level - with most students continuing their studies at Russell Group universities including between 20-30 going to Oxford or Cambridge each year.
Academic results in science are outstanding. Significant numbers of students go on to study science at university including medical sciences, dentistry veterinary science and engineering.
The musical life of the school is also rich, varied and successful. Many students go on to study music at university, including Oxbridge, The Royal Academy of Music and the Royal College of Music. In recent years two students have reached the final of the BBC Young Musician of the Year.
Sport is a vital part of life at Dame Alice Owen's, with spectacular successes at all ages and abilities - with students holding representative honours at district, county and national levels.
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact Dame Alice Owen's School directly.