Welcome to Brooksbank School Sports College (The)
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for a place at The Brooksbank School Sports College, you must complete an application form. These are available from the Sixth Form Administrator or main school website and must be returned to the school by Monday the 1st February 2016.
We hope that the information below will help you to get to know our school.
There are lots of other ways to find out more about us:
- Visit our website at www.bbs.calderdale.sch.uk
- Read our newsletters which are published termly
- Come along to our Sixth Form Open Evening which is held on 25th November 2015
- Contact school to arrange a visit at another time
The Brooksbank School Sports College is a mixed comprehensive school for students between the ages of 11-19. We are a large school with over 1600 students, teaching staff of 100 plus a support staff team of over 60. Although we are a large organisation, we pride ourselves on being a friendly, caring and supportive school community.
We are an ambitious school and we work hard to bring out the best in every single one of our students. This means hard work and commitment from students and staff.
Academic achievement is a top priority for us, but we also want to give our students a wide range of opportunities and experiences. We have an enormous programme of out of hours activities for everyone to get involved in.
As a specialist Sports College we have facilities and opportunities in Sport and PE which are second to none. For the talented athlete, the keen amateur or even the student who isn’t keen or talented, we can promise a first class PE experience.
- To provide a first class educational experience for every one of our students.
- To unlock the potential and talent of every student
- To provide the widest possible range of learning opportunities
- To create a culture where success is celebrated and each individual is encouraged and supported
- To ensure equality of opportunity for all regardless of any barriers to success
- To equip each student with the skills, aspirations and qualities for life so they can become an active and responsible member of modern society
A Specialist Sports College
We became a Specialist Sports College in September 2003. This has brought us tremendous benefits:
- super indoor and outdoor facilities including a sports hall, fitness centre, dance studio, climbing wall and outdoor cycle track.
- an unrivalled range of opportunities for students of all ages, abilities and interests – from trampolining to table tennis, street dance to soccer, climbing to cricket.
- a talented athlete development programme which provides particular support and advice to those students who are elite performers.
We are a thriving, successful Sixth Form with a strong sense of community plus a commitment to each individual student. There are currently over 280 students here. Most of these attended Brooksbank School but increasing numbers join us from schools all over Calderdale. The majority of our students are on two year programmes, studying a wide range of subjects at AS and A2 (level 3). Most students then move on to university or high quality employment. We also have a significant number of students on a one year level 2 course, which may give them the qualifications needed to stay on to study A levels or to move into employment or a college place. Academic achievement is a top priority for us and we are proud of our results at all levels. Equally important is the range of other opportunities on offer in the Sixth Form. All students have access to an enrichment programme to broaden their experience. We also have many activities on offer in sport, art, music, drama plus a host of social and recreational events. At Brooksbank our aim is to provide a first class educational experience for every one of our students.
Our Sixth Form Centre is a self-contained suite of rooms each with a different focus:
- A quiet study room for intensive study and research.
- A comfortable and spacious common room and conservatory for dinning, meeting friends and socialising.
- A Sixth Form Coffee Shop providing a range of healthy snacks, drinks and meals throughout the day.
- An ultra modern Arts Studio and Study Facility.
Other facilities available within the school include the Learning Resource Centre with a mezzanine computer suite which is available exclusively to Sixth Formers from 7.30am until 4.30pm.
Our students also benefit from our Sports College status and can take advantage of our sports, fitness and dance facilities.
At Brooksbank our students experience high quality teaching from our Sixth Form subject staff who are well qualified, highly motivated and committed to successful outcomes for all our students.
Our dedicated Sixth Form team works hard to ensure that students settle quickly and achieve a smooth transition from GCSE's to A Level's as well as to provide pastoral support and academic mentoring.
Each student is assigned a personal tutor who works with them on a one to one basis supporting their personal development and learning programme. We also have two full-time Progress Tutors who work intensively with individuals who may require extra support by developing study skills, time management,and building self-confidence.We can also offer help with revision techniques, UCAS personal statements, interview practice and much more.
Our students achieve very good exam results. In 2013 over 91% of our students gained 5 + A*-C grades at GCSE. In the Sixth Form we have shown an upward trend over the past 3 years in Average Points Score Per Entry (208 in 2013) and Average Points Per Student (720 in 2013).
73% of A Level entries sat in 2012 were graded A* – C, while 21% of entries were graded at A*/A.
Many of our students progress on to University courses and we have a well developed support and guidance system to help students with their application process.
We also offer our students the opportunity to gain other relevant qualifications that help them develop their confidence and enhance their CV such as the Nationally acredited Arts Award Gold and the Community Sports Leaders Award.
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact Brooksbank School Sports College (The) directly.