Welcome to Shenley Academy
Welcome to Shenley Academy and Sixth Form Centre
Shenley Academy has been judged as an outstanding school and now has a wonderful
We believe that all our learners are of equal value and that they all deserve to fulfill their potential.
So we have already introduced new styles of teaching, learning and care which have been judged
to be highly effective. We have created a well ordered, positive community in which we expect every
member to challenge themselves and strive for personal, social and academic excellence. We have an
outstanding staff team. So creating the best environment for learning was a key priority in the design of
our new building. The result is a light, spacious and contemporary place to learn. We also know the benefits that come from learning in natural environments. New landscaping is creating a park-like
setting, new sports facilities, an amphitheatre, a conservation area and an orchard will complement the
building. Along with a £1.4million investment in ICT, our truly inspiring provision has created the best
possible conditions for young people to learn, progress and succeed.
Everyone who visits the academy is impressed with the welcome they receive, our polite and well-mannered
students and the positive learning environment. Shenley Academy has been open since September 2009, a
very short time in the life of a school. During this time, there have been massive improvements. At the end of
2011, we were judged by Ofsted to be an ‘outstanding’ school. We are attracting high numbers of applicants
for places here. We are also retaining and attracting excellent staff! Then, in September 2012, we moved
into this inspiring new building.
Our Logo: Spark: Designed by our students, suggests anything that encourages us, a catalyst, a person or thing that causes a change: Shenley Academy Our students are stretched, challenged, guided and supported with their own personal targets and ambitions. Good examination results are important, but we believe that happy, safe, supported students and positive relationships are the key. So life here is also about:
• making the most of the superb opportunities
• having the chance to shine
• making a contribution
• being part of the team, personal and team effort is expected and rewarded.
We are one of a select few secondary schools nationally to receive the Every Child Matters award. And our first priority at Shenley Academy will always be our students’ care and guidance, whether this is monitoring and keeping them on track or ensuring they have the help they need to deal with personal or social issues. Shenley Academy is more than just a new school. We are the school of the future. The skills that students learn at Shenley Academy will provide the foundation for their future. We are determined to ensure that the handful
of years spent at Shenley Academy will open the door to a lifetime of opportunity.
The academy is divided into faculties, each with its suite of classrooms/learning areas with interactive whiteboards in every classroom and dedicated sixth form seminar rooms in most.
• Science and Technology (ground floor) • Sport and Health (ground and first floors)
• Mathematics (first floor) • English (second floor)
• Performing and Creative Arts(first floor) • Humanities (second floor)
• ICE: ICT, Languages and Enterprise (first and second floors)
• Eight state of the art science laboratories have been designed and equipped to provide large areas of accessible space for practical work up to Advanced level in Physics, Biology and Chemistry
• A technology suite with a state of the art food room, two large multi-material workshops serviced by Computer Aided Design (CAD) and Computer Aided Manufacture (CAM) with additional electronics facilities
• Two Dance Studios equipped with sprung floors and full length mirrors with dedicated changing facilities
• Two drama studios and a theatre with a well equipped auditorium with high-tec sound and lighting systems, tiered seating for productions and events
• Two large art rooms with state of the art graphic design facilities
• Extensive music facilities including two Apple Mac Music suites, an industry standard Recording Studio, teaching areas for individual, small group and larger ensemble work complemented by a comprehensive range of
• Two four court sports halls, extensive external pitches, a state of the art Fitness Centre and a large table tennis arena
• Excellent changing facilities with individual showers for sport located adjacent to the internal and external sports facilities
• A Library and Resource Centre which includes an internet café and facilities to store, retrieve and distribute books, pamphlets, videos and audio programmes
The sixth form centre
The Sixth Form Centre has additional dedicated teaching and seminar rooms, internet cafe and independent study facilities. Students receive specialist post 16 tutors who provide the tutorial programme and monitor progress. There is dedicated careers, information advice and guidance throughout your time at sixth form helping you to progress post 18 whether it is University, apprenticeships or employment.
“I came to Shenley Academy sixth form because it provides students with the best education, providing endless support and offering a wide range of teaching techniques. Each teacher takes time to get to know the students and really takes on board their preferred learning style allowing them to reach their full potential. There is a warm, friendly atmosphere within the sixth form between staff and students which takes away the stress of further education.” (Natasha Yr13)
As well as their tutor, all students have access to support for a variety of needs. If any student is finding their studies hampered by anything then the first port of call will be the Sixth Form staff. Financial support is also available for students who qualify for this through the student bursary scheme. This might be to help purchase travel passes, study materials or even additional technology.
Shenley Academy’s performance has been growing strongly. In 2013 the pass rate at AS level was 95.5% and at A level 98.8% with many students going on to university. The rest were successful in gaining employment or apprenticeships.
Subjects offered at level 3 include
English Language and Literature
Government & Politics
Health and Social Care
We also run a successful specialised level 2 programme.
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact Shenley Academy directly.