Welcome to John Taylor High School Academy
Welcome to John Taylor High School. We are a community of 1500 pupils, students and staff in the charming village of Barton-under-Needwood. We enjoy a high reputation locally and nationally as a school with an enviable academic record founded upon inspirational teaching and exceptional pastoral care. We also consider ourselves to be at the vanguard of schools for innovation – the first ‘converter’ Academy in Staffordshire.
Our pupils join us from a number of local primary and junior schools, and the significant majority stay on into our Sixth Form, ultimately progressing to take up places at a diversity of universities, studying a plethora of courses. Designated as a High Performing Specialist School, our GCSE and A level results show us to be one of the most successful schools in the county year in, year out.
We are renowned for our generosity of spirit: individuals who are prepared to give more than they expect to receive. We maintain high-quality relationships between staff and pupils at all levels of the school. Pastoral care is given a high profile, aiming both to bring about effective learning and to support the emotional and social development of all our pupils. The result of this is a caring and happy community of learners. Our Leadership status provides additional focus on enhancing the opportunities for young people and adults in our school. To that end, we both organise and participate wholeheartedly in competitions, trips, events and experiences that will equip us with the skills and experience to lead others towards shared goals effectively.
Our curriculum is designed to put learning firmly at the centre of all that we do and the academic staff have used their expertise to produce a set of principles for high quality, effective teaching to which they all adhere.
So what of the future? Our strategic plan is long term and ‘futures’ based so that we consider closely the world that we are ultimately preparing our learners for and the skills they will need to live and survive in that world. The twenty-first century provides many challenges for young people. We will shape lifelong learners, critical and innovative thinkers who will thrive in the acceptance of those challenges and whose moral integrity will enable them to determine a better world for all.
CEO – John Taylor Multi-Academy Trust
“We believe in the power of education to improve lives – and the world”
- Proud: of our school, our pupils and our achievements
- Generous of spirit and supportive of each other
- Self-critical yet dynamic and forward looking
- Inclusive and accessible
- Well organised and well led
- A centre of excellence with specialisms in Science and Leadership
- An exciting place in which to learn
- Confident, mature and respectful
- Creative, enquiring, independent learners
- Happy, kind and caring, supporting each other and ready to help
- Enjoying learning and participating in extra-curricular activities
- Proud to fulfil their potential
- Well-behaved, wanting to lead and involved in improving the school
- A welcoming community that respects different cultures, races, genders, abilities and disabilities
- A listening school that engages pupils in improving school life
- A sustainable school that involves itself in the community from locally to internationally
- A civilised school that produces mature, well balanced young people who are at ease with themselves and want to contribute to and improve the society they live in
- A school that works in partnership with parents, carers and neighbours
- Innovative, creative and passionate about teaching
- Respect and care for pupils they teach and the colleagues they work with
- Have high expectations and set positive examples for pupils and colleagues
- See themselves as life-long learners
- Trained to use the best approaches and resources
- Working together for good of the pupils, both intellectually and emotionally
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact John Taylor High School Academy directly.