Welcome to Gumley House Convent School
A message from Ms Caroline Braggs, Head Teacher
“I am immensely proud of our Sixth Form. With each year, it successfully continues our tradition of providing a broad education where Gumley students enjoy learning, develop skills and realise talents to become informed, independent, confident, articulate and responsible young adults, successful in all that they set out to accomplish.
Gumley has pioneered and is at the cutting edge of the learning application of mobile technologies. Each student is supported in their use of technology to enhance and extend their personal learning. Our long standing and ever growing international profile and links guarantees Sixth Formers unique opportunities to study alongside students from other countries and travel abroad, widening and deepening experience of other cultures.
If you are a new student considering Gumley's Sixth Form, I welcome you warmly and know that you will readily become part of our community and thrive to achieve your personal best."
Ms C Braggs
Gumley House Convent School is a well-established and successful school. Founded in 1841 we have been providing excellence in education and have prepared generations of young women to take their place in the world. At Sixth form level we also welcome boys to the school.
As a Catholic school we have a strong ethos that reflects our Christian values, making our school a vibrant learning community where staff and students learn and thrive together. At Gumley we are committed to the high achievement of all our students, whatever their needs and abilities, from the moment they are welcomed into the school in Year 7 until they leave to go on to university, college or employment. We are proud of our Sixth Form at Gumley and believe that there are strong reasons for choosing a Sixth Form career with us. Gumley provides a wide range of courses taught by experienced and dedicated teachers who will give you constant help and support. We strive to help our students to develop not only academically but also morally, spiritually and socially. All students are welcome at Gumley. We offer experienced pastoral care and as Catholic school opportunities for worship which other institutions may not be able to offer. We cultivate success and foster the highest aspirations through excellent teaching, while celebrating the good in every individual.
You have various choices in sixth form and the path you choose will be determined by the average point score (APS) you achieve in your GCSE examinations. In addition you must achieve a grade C in your Mathematics and English GCSEs. Further details of course requirements for A level study are set out in the Sixth form prospectus.
The pathways open to you are as follows;
A: APS of or above 51 – 3 A level subjects and 1 AS Subject
B: APS of or above 47 – 3 A level subjects and an EPQ (Extended Project Qualification)
C: APS of or above 44 – 3 A level subjects.
Students achieving above an APS of 51 will also have the opportunity to start an EPQ in the second half of the summer term for submission in November
Gumley House Convent School is located on one site. The facilities for 6th Form include a dedicated Sixth form block - with common and private study rooms located above the Library and Learning Resource Centre and in the same building as the Careers Department and Head of Years and Sixth Form Offices.
Other facilities include:
- All-weather Pitch
- Drama and Dance Studios
- ICT Suites
- Language Rooms
- Music Suite
- Sports Hall
- Technology and Creative Arts Centre
- The Library - excellent facilities for wider reading and study.
- Private study room- for supervised study in Year 12 and independent quiet study. It is equipped with individual study tables and excellent wi fi connections.
- Careers Department - At Gumley, each student's fullest potential is valued and supported. The Careers Department provides support for applying to university, further education, apprenticeships and employment.
- Dedicated personal tutor to monitor your targets and ensure you are on track. You will have regular meetings with your tutor on an individual basis to discuss any issues and the Director of Sixth Form takes an active interest in your progress and well- being.
- Students who are thinking of applying to study medicine will be provided with support for the BMAT examination in the second half of the summer term
Almost all of our students go on to university or further education. Key facts & figures from 2015:
- 80% went directly to university- the vast majority accepted at their first choice university, including many Russell Group universities,to studya wide range of subjects from Architecture to Paleontology.
- 11% took a gap year.
- 8% took places on Art Foundation Courses.
and 1 student started a Higher level Apprenticeship at the National Physics Laboratory.
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact Gumley House Convent School directly.