Welcome to Blackfen School for Girls
As Head of Sixth Form at Blackfen, I welcome you to our on-line prospectus. As you will see we have a wide range of courses to sort all ability levels. The aim is to allow students to progress and develop academically to ensure they achieve their full potential.
The Sixth Form at Blackfen is an exciting and thriving place to be a student. As well as academic study there are many opportunities provided for students to develop into mature, confident and responsible young adults ready to progress into higher education or work.
Please take time to look through our courses.
Don’t hesitate to contact us if you need any help or guidance and we look forward to receiving your application.
Assistant Headteacher, Head of Sixth Form
Why Choose Blackfen…...
Blackfen Sixth Form is a thriving community, where students are given the best possible care in a safe and friendly environment.
At Blackfen you can expect:
· A wide range of level 3 courses including AS/A2 and BTEC.
· BTEC level 2 courses (Foundation to Sixth Form package)
· GCSE English and Maths
· A well established tracking & monitoring system to ensure students are supported to fulfil their potential
· Supervised Student Centre with dedicated resources
· Specialist facilities (including ICT)
. Work Experience
· Personal tutors and a strong guidance programme
· Student services including careers advisor and transition co-ordinator
· Enrichment programme including trips and visits
Life in the Sixth Form
Our excellent examination results are a key factor in the popularity of the school. Students in Year 11 stay on into the Sixth Form to continue the success they have had at GCSE. Students welcome the opportunity to work with staff who already know them well and have helped them achieve success previously.
Students who join Blackfen for the Sixth Form are quickly made to feel at home. All students receive a high level of personal care and attention through the welfare team. Regular contact with home is a key priority.
What can I expect?
• Sixth Form students have more freedom, they have their own modern block for lessons, study and socialising • Facilities include: Student Study centre, dedicated area in the school library, University and careers library and a Common Room • Students can purchase food and drink from their own mini-refectory located in the common room • Sixth Form students dress in business like attire, this prepares them for the world of work.
All students participate in activities organised to widen their learning opportunities. These include:
· University visits
· Inter form competition's
· Leadership Team
· Community Service
· Basic First Aid qualification
· Team Building activities
· Driver Education
· Careers guidance
· Transition Coordinator
· Road Safety
· Trips and visits
· Charity events
· Sports teams/Fixtures
· Extended Project Qualification (EPQ)
· “Future Learn” courses
University and Careers Guidance
University application guidance starts during year 12. All students are encouraged to apply through the UCAS system. All students are given the opportunity for careers interviews through ‘Connexions’.
The Progression Programme includes:
· UCAS convention
· Careers Exhibition
· Visits to Universities
· UCAS workshop
· Outside speakers
· University Information Evening
· Assistance with Oxbridge applications
· ‘Aim Higher’ workshops
· Careers and University prospectus library
University Course Place
Aston Industrial Product Design
Brighton Mathematics. Digital Film.
Brunel Psychology and Sociology
Canterbury Christchurch Psychology. Accounting and Management (with Professional Placement). History. History with International Relations. Applied Criminology. Primary Education, Upper Primary (5-11), QTS. Psychology and Sociology. Media and Communications. Sociology with Politics. Sport Coaching Science. Early Childhood Studies. Public Relations, Media and Marketing.
Chichester Music and Musical Theatre. Sport and Exercise Psychology.
East Anglia Accounting and Finance
Greenwich Psychology. Digital Arts Practice. Film and TV Production. Games Design and Development. Business Management. Business Administration. Sociology
Keele Forensic Science with Science Foundation Year
Kent Digital Arts with a Year in Industry
Kings Nursing Studies with registration as a nurse (Adult Nursing)
Leeds Met Events Management
London Met Digital Media
London School of Economics Social Policy and Sociology
Middlesex Psychology (Criminology)
Portsmouth Property Development. Business and Management. Forensic Computing. Mathematics.
Queen Marys Mathematics
Southampton Modern History and Politics with Year Abroad. International Relations.
Surrey Criminology and Sociology. Sociology
Sussex Arts and Humanities (with a foundation year)
Swansea Law UCA Computer Animation Arts. Fine Art
WEST Public Relations and Advertising
Winchester Broadcast Television and Media Production and Business Management
Worcester Sport Development and Coaching
Apprenticeships Barclays Bank, John Lewis, TFL, Web Design, Civil Servant, Surveying, ManPower, Fashion Retail Academy
Employment Pharmaceutical , Barrister Clerk, TA in a Primary School, Key Worker in a nursery, Personal Trainer, Tradition (Stoke Broker)
Gap Year Protect Trust
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact Blackfen School for Girls directly.