Welcome to The Creative & Media Studio School at Netherhall Learning Campus
Welcome to The Creative and Media Studio School
We are pleased to announce the dates of our upcoming open events. They are:
Our open days for the 2019 intake are:
- Thursday 25th October 4pm - 7.30pm
- Specialist Art & Design, Media Thursday 22nd November 4pm - 7:30pm
- Specialist Acting, Music and Production Arts Thursday 29th November 4.00pm - 7.30pm
- Saturday 19th January 10am-12:30pm
We would be delighted to welcome you to The Creative & Media Studio School on any of the above dates. Where you will be able to have a look around and talk to tutors about the courses that you are interested in.
If you are using a SAT NAV the post code you will need is HD5 9NY
Follow us on
instagram : thecmss
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/Studioschool
Twitter : thecmss
The Creative & Media Studio School! A Creative College in Huddersfield!
Industry experienced staff alongside high spec technologies provide an opportunity to bridge the gap between College and the Creative work environment. Offering high quality education, strong industry links and an inclusive, open plan setting, we pride ourselves on delivering professional, creative and individuals able to succeed in the next step of their journey.
You can choose to study A Level: Fine Art, Photography, Graphic Design, Fashion, Textiles as well as Maths, English alongside BTEC qualifications in; Business ,Criminology, Music ,Performing Arts, Production Arts, Creative Digital Media Production, Health and Social Care , Stage Management and Level 3 Criminology.
Success can be hard to achieve but with the right work ethic and enthusiasm we will nurture young people’s creativity and talent to achieve success.
Visit us at one of our open days to see how you can create yourself at the CMSS
For any further information please visit our website http://studio-school.org.uk/ or attend one of our Open days:
The brand new state of the art purpose built facility has been designed with the purpose of linking vocational excellence, academic growth and business and enterprise development. As a condition of this the building will have an array of the latest innovations in technology and design, this will support the academic growth and business imaginations of the next generation.
There's more to college that what subject you pick. Of course that’s important but choosing which environment you think will give you the opportunity to flourish and reach your potential is something you your think really carefully about. At the Studio School we pride ourselves in the close inclusive atmosphere that can be felt when you come into our building. Being small we are a really close community where all staff and students know each other and individuality is celebrated. Take a look at the support and opportunities available to our students…
It's all about you! We recognise that everyone is different and everyone needs access to different levels of support at different points in their journey with us. You will meet 1:1 with your coach and plan how you are going to work together and how they can best support you. Personal Coaching is not a one size fits its personal to you; your coach will be there to support you through any personal difficulties, plan how you will achieve your aspirations and make sure you identify opportunities for your personal and academic development. Referrals for specialist support can be made to Locala, CAMHS, the base and other agencies who offer support to young people
Group Personal Coaching
By the time you leave us we want make sure you have the skills and resilience to be successful and make a positive contribution to society. Together we will explore;
- Personal safety
- Alcohol, Drugs and Smoking
- Extremism and Radicalisation
- Current Affairs
- Your digital footprint
- Sexual Health
Deciding on a career path can be a daunting prospect but our careers support is there to guide you through the process. You will be given the opportunity to explore a wide variety of Career Pathways through
- Weekly group progression sessions
- Research career options
- Finding a part-time job
- CV writing skills
- Interview techniques
- Mock interviews
- Support through application process and personal statements
- Organise a Two week work experience placement
- 1:1 discussions with your Personal Coach
- Drop in sessions
- Guest speakers from creative industries, apprenticeship providers and Universities
- University Visits
Progress Events and Open Days
During your time at the studio school, your parents/guardians will have the opportunity to attend Progress Events and Open Days where they will have full access to your subject teachers and tutor.
Vulnerable Student Bursary
This is a bursary worth up to £1200, depending on your circumstances and benefits. You must be:
- Under 19 at the start of the academic year you want a bursary for
- Studying at a School or College, or an unpaid training course
AND at least 1 of the following applies:
- You’re in, or recently have left, Local Authority case
- You get Income Support of Universal Credit in your name
- You’re disabled and get both Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), and either Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP in your name.
If you’re a parent, you will also need to be living away from your own parents to qualify. You will get the full amount if you have expenses and study full-time on a course of at least 30 weeks.
All applications will be treated with complete confidence.
Discretionary Bursary Fund
The Creative and Media Studio School also has a Discretionary Bursary Fund. The criteria for this fund is set by ourselves.
How can this help me?
This fund is for Students who are facing genuine financial barriers to participating in education. Its aim is to help with essentials and is not a cash payment, but a payment in kind for particular items needed. Typical ways this fund has been used by the Studio School includes
- Bus passes to and from College, where the distance travelled justifies this
- Specialist course equipment
- Costs incurred for placements and business engagement opportunities
- Transports and fees for course events/trips/university visits
- Transports and fees for enrichment events offered, or arranged, by the Studio School which could benefit the student’s progression routes
As a Studio School we have a duty to ensure all funds are awarded fairly to students most in need, therefore, all applications cannot be guaranteed. We ask that all students are:
- Are under 19 years at the start of the year the bursary is needed for
- Have at least 90 % attendance
- Are meeting expectations for good behaviour and progress
- Are in receipt of Free School Meals
Students who received Free School Meals do not automatically receive them at Post 16. Applications to the Local Authority must be made by the parents. We urge parents to make an application for FSM if this was the case at High School OR if your family circumstances have changed recently. To apply for FSM, please contact Kirklees Local Authority on 01484 221928, stating that your child is on roll at the Creative and Media Studio School at Netherhall Learning Campus and you would like to discuss FSM with the relevant department.
Average Grade per Tech DISTINCTION*
Average Grade per A2 Entry C+
How to apply
You can apply for courses at The Creative & Media Studio School at Netherhall Learning Campus through UCAS Progress. Add courses to your favourites to apply to this provider.