Welcome to The Creative & Media Studio School at Netherhall Learning Campus
Welcome to The Creative and Media Studio School
We are pleased to announce the dates of our upcoming open events. They are:
Our open days for the 2017 intake are:
- Thursday 13th October 3:30pm-7:30pm
- Thursday 3rd November 3:30pm - 7:30pm
- Saturday 19th November 10am-12:30pm
- Saturday 3rd December 10am-12:30pm
We would be delighted to welcome you to The Creative & Media Studio School on any of the above dates. Where you will be able to have a look around and talk to tutors about the courses that you are interested in.
If you are using a SAT NAV the post code you will need is HD5 9NY
Studying at the Creative and Media Studio School is unlike studying at any other high school in the country. Our students are able to learn through a mix of recognised academic and vocational subjects in a unique environment, where businesses and students work side by side. Some will go on to achieve vocational qualifications and get a great job, some will find themselves going to university and some will have the skills to set up their own business.
Studio Schools have been specially designed to make this happen; this is a school unlike any other in the country. We have businesses and pupils working side by side and our new purpose-built £4.5m building will be one of the best learning facilities in the country, let alone Kirklees.
The Creative & Media Studio School will not be an easy option, and academic excellence will run throughout our curriculum offer. Year 10/11 students will still follow the national curriculum and will gain the same key qualifications as a traditional school.
Post 16 students (year 12 & 13) will have the opportunity to experince a unique educational pathway that will allow the combined study of a creative and vocational subjects that will be suplemented with business and academic options.
What makes us different is not what is offered but how it is delivered. We are taking learning out of a traditional classroom setting, and teaching the curriculum through real-life enterprise themed projects in the school and the surrounding community.
Find us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Studioschool
Pre-16 (Years 10 &11)
Our year 10 and 11 students benfit from the best of both world, academic rigour and vocational creativity. The students will study the traditional core subjects Maths, Science and English alongside their own choice of creative, media or vocational subject. What makes the studio school unique is that whilst studying within the Studio School students will work alongside with businesses on numerous commissioned projects. This gives the students the real life experience that is neccessary in todays society.
Our post-16 students benefit from studying business-friendly qualifications in an environment that allows them to apply what they have learnt in the classroom directly into real life business situations. Some of our pupils even get paid for doing so!
There is considerable evidence that this practical approach to learning can lead to higher grades, improved engagement and better job prospects for young people, as well as widening the pathway to higher education and beyond.
For any further information please visit our website http://studio-school.org.uk/ or attend one of our Open days:
Please note, places for September 2014 are limited so early application is recommended.
The brand new state of the art purpose built facility has been designed with the purpose of linking vocational excellence, academic growth and business and enterprise development. As a condition of this the building will have an array of the latest innovations in technology and design, this will support the academic growth and business imaginations of the next generation.
The Studio school students will have access to the latest in cutting edge technology when it comes to Information Technology. We are committed to making IT facilities widely available both for individual use and for teaching and learning.
Our personal coaching system is designed to give you friendly support, professional tutorage and academic assistance throughout your time here. Each student will be assigned on entry a personal coach and will have access to the tutor through regular scheduled meetings. Here they will be able to access extra academic or emotion support, along side being able research and discus health matters, personal issues and future career and/or educational pathways.
Students with Disabilities
We are committed to supporting students with disabilities and actively promote a policy of inclusion; all students are encouraged to make a full contribution to college life. Our aim is to create a positive and inclusive atmosphere where there is shared commitment to value diversity, empower students and facilitate successful progression.
The common area has been designed to inspire and invigorate all who work from within. The multi use area will be available for private study, additional work space or as a meeting point to discus learning before the lessons begin. It will also be equipped with the latest in wifi technology allowing students to access a wide variety of resources found on the World Wide Web.
Progress Events and Open Days
During your time at the studio school, your parents/guardians will have the opportunity to attend Progress Events and Open Days where they will have full access to your subject teachers and tutor.
Vulnerable Student Bursary
This is a bursary worth up to £1200, depending on your circumstances and benefits. You must be:
- Under 19 at the start of the academic year you want a bursary for
- Studying at a School or College, or an unpaid training course
AND at least 1 of the following applies:
- You’re in, or recently have left, Local Authority case
- You get Income Support of Universal Credit in your name
- You’re disabled and get both Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), and either Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP in your name.
If you’re a parent, you will also need to be living away from your own parents to qualify. You will get the full amount if you have expenses and study full-time on a course of at least 30 weeks.
All applications will be treated with complete confidence.
Discretionary Bursary Fund
The Creative and Media Studio School also has a Discretionary Bursary Fund. The criteria for this fund is set by ourselves.
How can this help me?
This fund is for Students who are facing genuine financial barriers to participating in education. Its aim is to help with essentials and is not a cash payment, but a payment in kind for particular items needed. Typical ways this fund has been used by the Studio School includes
- Bus passes to and from College, where the distance travelled justifies this
- Specialist course equipment
- Costs incurred for placements and business engagement opportunities
- Transports and fees for course events/trips/university visits
- Transports and fees for enrichment events offered, or arranged, by the Studio School which could benefit the student’s progression routes
As a Studio School we have a duty to ensure all funds are awarded fairly to students most in need, therefore, all applications cannot be guaranteed. We ask that all students are:
- Are under 19 years at the start of the year the bursary is needed for
- Have at least 90 % attendance
- Are meeting expectations for good behaviour and progress
- Are in receipt of Free School Meals
Students who received Free School Meals do not automatically receive them at Post 16. Applications to the Local Authority must be made by the parents. We urge parents to make an application for FSM if this was the case at High School OR if your family circumstances have changed recently. To apply for FSM, please contact Kirklees Local Authority on 01484 221928, stating that your child is on roll at the Creative and Media Studio School at Netherhall Learning Campus and you would like to discuss FSM with the relevant department.
Of those who completed their two year courses at KS5:
- 91% of Student entries achieved at least their expected grades - an increase of 15% from 2015!
- 39% of Student entries achieved at least 1 grade higher than expected.
- 100% achieved at least 2 A level equivalents.
- 86% achieved at least 3 A level equivalents.
- 41% achieved at least 3.5 A level equivalents.
- 17% achieved 4 A level equivalents.
- 43% of grades awarded were within the Distinction/Distinction*mark bands.
- 100% of students completeing A2 Level qualifactions passed with at least grade C's.
- 55% of leavers have now secured a University pathway, all accepting their first choice offer.
- 94% of the above students are undertaking courses which progress directly from their Level 3 studies.
- 45% of students have clear progression routes or employed positions to achieve planned career aspirations.
- The CMSS celebrates no NEET students at the current time
How to apply
You can apply for courses at The Creative & Media Studio School at Netherhall Learning Campus through UCAS Progress. Add courses to your favourites to apply to this provider.