Welcome to UTC Sheffield City Centre
Welcome to University Technical College (UTC Sheffield City Centre)
Do you want to get ahead?
A University Technical College offers a head start for high quality careers.
The UTC is a brand new high-tech college for 13-19 year olds based on two campuses with fantastic facilities. In addition to key GCSEs and A Levels, it offers five exciting areas of specialist study – Advanced Engineering & Manufacturing and Creative & Digital Media at the City Centre campus and Human Sciences, Sport Science and Computing at the Olympic Legacy Park campus.
These courses have been chosen because employers need technically skilled young people to take up jobs in their organisations. That could be you!
The main difference about the UTC is that everything you learn - whether academic or technical - is connected to the world of work. You study in a way that relates to real-life careers. That also means preparing you for relevant apprenticeships and university courses.
Like the world of work, the hours are 8:30am-4.30pm but you do all your learning including homework during that time so you still have time for your friends and family.
The timetable is different from school – you are working on employer-led projects in teams in hi-tech labs and studios and going out on visits to employers. There is also opportunity for sports and outdoor pursuits, volunteering, arts, music and creative activities – whatever your interests may be.
Our next Showcase Event will be Wednesday 16 January 2019.
UTC Sheffield City Centre offers a new approach to learning developed with employers.
The first Sheffield UTC opened in a purpose-built £9.9 million building in September 2013, located in the heart of Sheffield’s creative and digital industries sector, close to Sheffield Hallam University’s Faculty of Arts, Computing, Engineering and Science.
The second Sheffield UTC opened in September 2016 in a purpose-built £10 million building on the Olympic Legacy Park in the Don Valley. UTC OLP is close to the English Institute of Sport and next to the proposed Sheffield Hallam’s Advance Wellbeing Research Centre.
Both UTC campuses offer students a modern, high-tech environment with outstanding industry facilities and both buildings are also close to great transport links. A key feature of UTCs is a high level of employer and university engagement providing students with real-life problem-solving challenges. Both of Sheffield’s top-quality universities and over 50 top employers – including world-famous companies such as Rolls-Royce, Siemens, Steel Manufacturers and major organisations like Sheffield Teaching Hospitals Trust – are directly involved in the curriculum.
The UTCs offer specialist study in Advanced Engineering & Manufacturing, Creative & Digital Media, Health Sciences, Sport Science and Computing alongside core subjects including English, Maths and Science. Students achieve a full range of GCSEs or A-Levels but in addition they have the special advantage of working with top employers on real projects. Students feel as though they are working in a business environment.
The academic year is divided into six half-terms, adding up to 40 weeks. The day starts at 8.30am and ends at 4.30pm, to provide a greater range of learning opportunities.
Our next Showcase Event will be Wednesday 16 January 2019.
Please note, submissions to UTC Sheffield City Centre for Year 12 places must be received by 31 January.
Facilities available: The UTCs offers the latest industry-relevant facilities for work-related learning and teaching. The aim is to equip students with the knowledge, skills and experience needed to use new technology in the workplace and to cope with the rapid pace of technological change. Technology is a core part of the learning experience to prepare students for the world of work. Students are encouraged to bring their own device to the UTC and there are Mac and PC studios available with the latest software. All students have the opportunity to use state-of-the-art facilities.
At UTC City Centre these include:
• Engineering mini-factories that simulate the real manufacturing environment
• A high-spec prototyping workshop
• A Computer Numerically Controlled machine suite for producing items designed by the students
• Advanced Mac-based design suites with the latest hardware
• A suite of hi-tech studios and media labs for digital creative and media projects including film, photography, animation and web application
• A superb art and design space with exhibition space
• A sound studio for creating radio features and developing soundtracks exploring music technology and speech projects
• An advanced IT workshop for exploring the components of technology hardware and software design
• Study areas with top-spec wi-fi capability
• A multi-use, rooftop sports pitch with spectator area and access to the large all-day restaurant.
At UTC Olympic Legacy Park these will include:
• Activity Studio
• Sports Science Laboratory for detailed assessment of individual performance
• Fitness Suite
• Health and Development Suite including a flexible ward set up, a child development area and a facility for an operational ambulance
• A user experience (UX) research laboratory
• Flexible IT environments for creating, inventing and testing with technology
• Multiple computer suites
• Project centre with flexible spaces for group and individual working
• Science Terrace
• Leisure and study areas with top-spec wi-fi capability
• Use of professional standard Rugby/Football Stadium
• Use of professional standard basketball stadium (when built)
• An attractive restaurant with a terrace overlooking the Rugby/Football Stadium
Come along to the UTC City Centre Post-16 Showcase Event on Wednesday 16 January 2019
The compact size of UTC Sheffield means that every student is individually known and encouraged, academically and pastorally. Personal tutors supervise and support each student as they move through the UTC. As a result, talents are recognised and nurtured. Every student has challenging individual targets and clear learning pathways.
Achievement is tracked by stage, not age, so individuals can be fast-tracked where they excel in certain areas, or receive additional support on topics they find more challenging. Students are encouraged to develop self-motivated, independent approaches to their learning as part of a team.
Next Showcase Event Wednesday 16 January 2019.
In this exciting, employment-driven environment qualifications are vitally important. Every element of the student experience is related to a relevant qualification.
At 16 we would expect students to achieve a good set of GCSEs, including Maths and English and Sciences, as well as industry-recognised technical qualifications along with business and computing qualifications relevant to employment.
At 18 or 19 most students will gain two or more A-Levels, again accompanied by a valuable industry-recognised combination of technical and other relevant work-related qualifications.
Come to our Post-16 Showcase Event on Wednesday 16 January 2019 at UTC City Centre.
How to apply
You can apply for courses at UTC Sheffield City Centre through UCAS Progress. Add courses to your favourites to apply to this provider.