Welcome to Dartford Grammar School
Dartford Grammar School is an 11-18 foundation selective school for boys, with a large mixed sixth form, and excellent facilities. It offers a unique combination of high academic achievement and a lively, friendly ethos. With a strong system of pastoral support, it fulfils its mission to be 'A learning community developing global citizens', preparing students, not just for entry to top universities, but for lasting success in a fast-changing world.
Every single aspect of Dartford Grammar School was assessed as 'outstanding in its 2008 Ofsted inspection, after the school had achieved the rare distinction of being identified by the Chief Inspector as 'outstandingly successful' following its three previous inspections. A Language College since 1995, it has two further specialisms as a High-performing Specialist School, in Science and Innovation. The inspectors praised the school's exceptional and dynamic curriculum, which features a strong emphasis upon creativity.
The school offers a wide variety of courses for sixth formers, a part of the International Baccalaureate Diploma including ten foreign languages, six of which may be studied from the beginner's stage. Dartford Grammar School is the United Kingdom's leading state centre for the International Baccalaureate. The school develops confident and articulate students, with a readiness to contribute to community service.
It provides a remarkable range of extra-curricular activities, and has been awarded the Sportsmark. Through its partnership with the Junior Department of Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance, it offers scholarships for gifted musicians and talented dancers. The school's programme of overseas visits and exchanges is unrivalled, as is its provision for the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme. Every year, the school welcomes students transferring from other schools to join its sixth form. The settle quickly, and are able to achieve excellent results. If you would like to be one of them, please contact us. The International Baccalaureate Students study 6 academic subjects:
- 3 at Higher level (equivalent to or higher than A level)
- 3 at Standard level (about 2/3 the content of Higher). Students must include Maths, English and a Foreign Language, which could be one already enjoyed or a completely new one ('ab initio').
In addition there are 3 important elements:
- Theory of Knowledge (TOK) - the core of the IB - how we think and come to our judgements, how to question what we are told and analyse the evidence.
- Creativity, Activity, Service (CAS).
- Extended essay – a major research project into a deeper aspect of one of the academic courses or something completely different; such independent research skills and are one of the reasons why universities say that IB students tend to be much better prepared for university study.
W.J. Oakes Headmaster
How to apply
You can apply for courses at Dartford Grammar School through UCAS Progress. Add courses to your favourites to apply to this provider.