Welcome to SHIFT MEDIA
Sheffield Independent Film & Television is a community based, not-for-profit training provider. Established in 1990, SHIFT has a vibrant and successful history of working with young people in Sheffield. SHIFT's diverse range of accredited training programmes are designed to give their students the opportunities, skills and confidence they need to develop and learn.
Shift Media is an independent training provider working within the Creative and Cultural Industries. Based in the Workstation, a hub of media companies and activity, are aim is to help student’s progress to where they want to be.
Often students may have an interest in creative subjects but not have a clear idea about their future pathway into further education; apprenticeship or employment.
We work with students using personalised learning and regular review stages. We work together with students to come up with a plan for developing their future and then we support and encourage them to monitor and track that plan. Putting the power over their future into their hands, they are able to keep track of where they are on the path to achieve their aims.
We provide an aspirational environment in which we help students gain confidence and develop at their own pace. Our core aim is to help students engage with learning in a fun, focused and disciplined way. Shift Media encourage personal growth, attainment
and an enjoyment of learning.
Our aim is to nurture our values in students, staff, trustees and volunteers:
- … and a general joy in life.
Every student has individual talents and distinct needs in relation to learning. Success in learning comes from being stretched and challenged in an enjoyable, engaging way. Shift Media aims to help students develop their talent by recognising their individual learning styles within the context of structured learning and skills development.
All staff are appropriately qualified in the vocational area they teach and in educational theory. We promote the highest standards of learning.
Here at SHIFT we want to make it as easy as possible for young learners to start their training. SHIFT will reimburse travel expenses for young learners to and from the centre. If a young learner is 16-18 years old SHIFT can also organise and provide Young Persons Travelcards for use on buses, trams and trains.
Our ongoing commitment: What you can expect from your time at SHIFT...
SHIFT strive to promote an optimum learning environment. We want to create a place where our students feel relaxed, safe, motivated and stimulated at the same time! Our students tell us they like:
Being treated as adults, the friendly atmosphere, feeling respected, developing their skills, gaining confidence in their own identity and feeling worthwhile in their own right.
What the programme offers:
- focus on you and your needs
- soft, welcoming environment
- a place to meet other young people
- creative activities – arts & crafts, photography, screen writing, interactive media, graphic design (& much more!)...
- English, Maths and Employability Skills development
- a programme of guest speakers and advice sessions from professionals
- accreditation of learning
- official qualifications
- information and guidance to help you decide your next move
- planned progression in further education, employment with training or an apprenticeship.
What we need from you:
- your decision and commitment to be there
- your voice and vision
- you to tell us what you want from your course
- key worker support to track achievement through individual learning plans
- help in applying for funding and benefits such as child care
- help in applying for job opportunities and career advice
How to apply
You can apply for courses at SHIFT MEDIA through UCAS Progress. Add courses to your favourites to apply to this provider.