Welcome to Budehaven Community School
Welcome to Budehaven 6th Form. This prospectus aims to give an up-to-date picture of life in our 6th Form and to give you details of the courses and opportunities we can offer. We are proud to be an 11-18 Community School and a Specialist Sports College. If you choose to join us in the 6th Form you will enjoy many benefits by being a member of this very special type of school. As you would expect, the majority of our 6th Form students attended and successfully completed their GCSEs at Budehaven, but every year we welcome increasing numbers of students from Holsworthy, Sir James Smith in Camelford and further afield.
The biggest advantage of being in a school 6th Form for many students is the opportunity for continuing to develop positive, professional day-to-day working relationships with the teaching staff who, in many cases, they have known for five years. Regular contact with your tutor and tutor group is a vital ingredient of our 6th Form. As the oldest students in the school younger students will look up to you and you will do much to set the tone by which the entire school is judged. All Year 12 students are encouraged to support a younger student or group of students. You will, in every sense of the word, be an ambassador for Budehaven Community School.
You will be expected to work! Our most recent Ofsted Inspection (Feb. 2015) reported very positively indeed on our 6th Form provision, and our results consistently place us in the top five schools and colleges in Cornwall. We work hard to help students develop their independent learning skills and we do have high expectations of our students. Whilst we see the 6th Form as being an integral part of the school we also recognise that you need to have your own 'space', and the 6th Form Common Room is an important part of our 6th Form provision. The library provides an excellent independent study area for 6th Formers.
Work experience also forms an important element of our 6th Form provision. Year 12 Advanced Level students complete a one week work experience placement in June. Students taking the BTEC Sport course complete a six week placement. The feedback from students has been very positive in terms of confirming or amending career plans and gaining valuable experience for university, apprenticeship and job applications. Students who attend Budehaven 6th Form do well and nearly all but a few progress on to their chosen career path or the university of their choice. We look forward to you joining us and playing a very real part in the future development of Budehaven Community School and its 6th Form.
Budehaven Community School aims to:
- Create an active learning community of the highest possible quality.
- Provide a safe, caring and supportive school in which everybody is stimulated and encouraged to achieve success.
- Equip each student with a range of skills so that they can:
- Make informed choices
- Make a positive contribution to the community in which they live
In order to achieve these aims we shall:
- Promote high standards of teaching and learning
- Promote responsibility and mutual respect
- Develop a sense of pride in being part of Budehaven Community School
- Ensure equality of opportunity and access to all aspects of school life
- Promote and develop social, moral, spiritual and cultural awareness
- Promote awareness of, and respect for a sustainable environment
- Work in partnership with parents and the wider community
- Recognise and celebrate all achievements
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact Budehaven Community School directly.
Last updated date: 26 July 2017