Welcome to Saltash.net Community School
Dear Parents, Carers and Students
Thank you for the interest you are showing in the Sixth Form here at saltash.net community school. We are extremely proud of our Post 16 provision and value greatly the fact that we are an 11-18 secondary school. Mindful of the fact that our young people in South East Cornwall can access a very good range of Further Education Colleges for vocational pathways post 16, we concentrate on delivering the highest possible standards for those students wanting to pursue Level 3 Advanced Level courses which includes the opportunity to study for a BTEC in Science, alongside A Levels.
As a parent whose own daughters have had the chance to progress through our Sixth Form at saltash.net, I cannot recommend it highly enough for students who wish to continue on to Higher Education, or higher level apprenticeships and employment pathways. The teaching, care, guidance and support provided are all first class, as are the range of extra-curricular opportunities and learning enhancement programmes.
In April 2014, saltash.net was inspected by a team from Ofsted. These comments from the Ofsted report seem particularly relevant to what we have on offer in saltash.net’s Sixth Form:
- ‘The sixth form is good. Student numbers are rising, and provision is good. Achievement is improving rapidly with an increasing proportion achieving the highest grades.’
- ‘In the sixth form, teaching is never less than good, for example, in a Year 13 government and politics lesson, students were encouraged very effectively to explore alternative ways of presenting views on different political ideologies. Similarly, Year 12 history students very perceptively challenged their teacher in a discussion about the role of the media in the lives of the Royal Family.’
- ‘Across the school, teachers are very conscientious and highly committed. They have good subject knowledge and readily share their expertise with each other.’
- ‘The behaviour of students is outstanding; they take pride in their school.’
- ‘Students’ attitudes towards learning are exemplary.’
- ‘One parent who wrote to the inspection team said that the pastoral care in the school was ‘excellent and absolutely fantastic’.”
- ‘Exceptional ICT practice.’
- ‘The school continues to make a significant contribution to improving the life chances of all its students.’
We look forward very much to seeing you at our Information Evening, to be held this year on Wednesday 9th November, and assure you of a very warm welcome.
The facilities in our community school are enjoyed by many people, though of course our students are the first to benefit. The school is well equipped with excellent teaching facilities to meet the requirements of the National Curriculum. We have 12 laboratories, a whole school computer network with over 500 machines, 78 teaching rooms, including an industry-standard catering room, a gymnasium and sports hall. Specialist rooms are also available for music, art and drama.
We constantly seek ways of enhancing our school environment. We secured funding from the Department for Education to enhance 14-19 provision, not just at our school, but across the whole of South East Cornwall. As part of the new build project, which includes a superb video conferencing suite, we were also able to extend and develop our 6th Form centre and facilities, providing extensive space for the benefit of our post 16 learners. We enjoy the support and sponsorship of a number of organisations, including Microsoft, who have donated 25 ‘Surface’ tablets to the school and a range of educational software.
We also have a livestock area containing pigs, chickens and goats and several allotments which enhance provision in many curriculum areas.
Our extensive sports fields, including a superb floodlit all-weather pitch, are amongst the best in the county, enabling us to offer a wide range of different sports to our students and local community.
The whole school has wheelchair access and facilities for the disabled are provided.
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact Saltash.net Community School directly.