Welcome to Banbury Academy
Our Community…Our Responsibility… Our Future’
Banbury Academy Sixth Form is a vibrant community with a clear sense of identity and vision. All of the work that we do is underpinned by the values of the Guiding Principles of The Aspiration Academies Trust, these being: Self Worth, Engagement and Purpose.
Our mission is to create a strong, friendly community where all members of the team have an intrinsic sense of self-worth, self-belief and self-confidence. Students in our community and the adults that work alongside them aim to support each other to think positively, take risks and be resilient so that we break through our own barriers, explore our own passions and motivate ourselves and others on our individual pathways to our dreams; dreams of the present and the future. In doing so, we work together to ensure that we all know how unique we are, are surrounded by people who believe in each other, respect and value individual’s choices, and are recognised for our different types of success.
Together, we aim to enjoy our time in the sixth form by providing each other with, and actively engaging in fun and exciting experiences in and beyond the classroom and sixth form environment. We aim to balance the fun with the hard work, approaching learning and life with a true spirit of adventure, curiosity, creativity and purpose. We know the importance of engaging fully with the wider community in which we learn and live, and seek to contribute positively in our roles as members of society.
Developing ourselves as leaders of our own learning and lives and becoming role models within our community is key to our vision. By embracing the skills of individuals, listening to one another and working together as a team we seek to empower all members of our team to set aspirational goals. We believe that we all have the right to have own voice, find our own way and tread our own pathways to reach our dreams, and we know that to succeed in this we must support each other on our stepping stones to success.
If your values and expectations match ours, we would be delighted to hear from you. We can guarantee that in return we can offer you a highly enjoyable and memorable two years where your academic ambitions will be met in a stimulating atmosphere of care, and support.
Emma Tribe and Carly Berry
Heads of Post 16
We offer a broad curriculum in the sixth form that caters for a wide variety of interests and learning styles. Our well-qualified and experienced team of teachers inspire our students to reach their goals. We use all the academy’s facilities and learning resources to engage students in their learning and to further develop the independent thinking skills necessary for success. The facilities in our learning environment include:
- A Sixth Form Common Room and Café with wi-fi access
- A fully networked study area in the library
- Specialist science laboratories
- ICT suites
- A music suite with editing equipment
- A drama studio with theatre lighting and sound equipment
- All weather pitch and fitness equipment
As soon as students start the enrolment process, they are guided to ensure they study the right courses. Our mentor groups are comprised of Year 12 and 13 students, which provide opportunities to take part in peer mentoring and to establish a close bond between the two year groups.
We support students to reach their dreams through a detailed mentor programme:
- An academic mentoring programme, where students’ progress is carefully tracked to ensure that accurate and sophisticated intervention takes place. Students are given target grades early in Year 12, based on their GCSE performance. Each term students sit assessment point tests so we know how they are progressing and where we need to support them further in their learning. The mentoring programme includes a mentoring week when parents are invited to speak to sixth form mentors. Parents also attend a full parental consultation once a year.
- An assembly programme which includes support with identifying future pathways.
- Access to Careers Education Advice, Information and Guidance (CEAIG) for all students.
- UCAS and personal statement guides tailored to our sixth form students.
- A higher education conference with university-led workshops.
- Subject master classes at local universities.
With a strong academic track record and excellent individualised support through rigorous academic target-setting and a well-developed mentoring system, the majority of our students go on to study at university. We provide a broad range of exciting opportunities for our students, and we urge you to talk to staff and students about all the courses on offer.
We achieve excellent performance year on year, with students receiving offers from the most prestigious universities in the UK. An example of some of the places won in the last two years is shown below:
- The University of Warwick Mathematics and Science
- The University of Leicester History
- The University of Gloucestershire Business and Marketing Management
- The University of Leeds Natural Sciences
- The University of Southampton Fashion Marketing
- The University of Northampton Law
- The University of Oxford Philosophy
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact Banbury Academy directly.