Welcome to QE Academy Trust
Queen Elizabeth's School have a thriving and well respected Sixth Form of around 240 students with a traditional ethos of student support and an excellent academic reputation.
Why choose QE?
- Because we…are friendly and personal, are small enough to know you well and support you when things get difficult.
- provide great teaching that has enabled more of our students to get into the top universities than any other non-selective provider in Devon.
- provide over thirty subjects and the opportunity to catch up with those you have missed at GCSE have excellent value added, which means you are more likely to make good progress with us than with any other sixth form or college in the far South West!
- have excellent personal tuition that will help you all the way through the UCAS process offer
- the extras like the Extended Project Qualification and Creativity, Action, Service programmes that really help you compete for the uni place you want
- have an excellent Library where you can borrow and use laptops, Macbooks and iPads which can be used anywhere have the latest technology and hardware - 3D printer, laser cutter, electrophoresis kits, infra red cameras, digital recording studio, photographic studio etc etc that you won’t have to fight to use offer
- an excellent sports programme, including our Outdoor Education Academy
- offer excellent Boarding accommodation for those who need it.
As well as those who took their GCSEs with us, students join us from Exeter and across mid Devon as well as international boarding students who are attracted by the range of academic courses that we offer, the specialist teaching and the very personal support they receive. Our students also have access to a very stretching structured study programme, similar to the International Baccalaureate, that includes opportunities for creativity, sporting and voluntary activities and the Extended Project Qualification. Set within the historic College House, separate from the main body of the school, the Sixth Form is a learning environment that fosters and encourages our students to become creative and technical intellectuals equipped with the skills needed to thrive at undergraduate level and employment. Students can loan laptops and iPads from our well stocked Library and use them wirelessly anywhere in College House – even in the College Cafe. We offer over thirty A Level subjects, in addition to GCSE retakes in core subjects. In 2012 our students achieved a 100% pass rate at A Level and 89% of our students gained three or more A Levels at the end of two years.
The Sixth Form at QE is modelled on a Diploma basis, with students taking programmes of study based around A-levels, BTEC vocational courses and GCSE retakes. These are complemented with enrichment activities, careers guidance and work experience. We aim, through this approach, to provide all students with a balanced, broadly based Sixth Form course to prepare them as fully as possible for life after school.
One of the strengths of QE's Sixth Form is its tutorial group system. On entry, a student is placed into a tutorial group in which he/she remains throughout their time in the Sixth Form, usually with the same Mentor. This enables them to develop friendships with other students and have the continuity of regular contact with a member of staff who will be supportive and helpful in both academic and personal matters. Students register with their Mentor three times each week and have regular discussions concerning their progress and their plans for the next steps, whether those are academic or employment related. We also have a structured programme of monitoring students’ progress, involving regular feedback from subject staff and a series of interviews with Mentors.
The Sixth Form has a proven track record of successful applications to all sectors of Higher Education- around 75% of our students take up university places each year with many progressing to Russell Group universities and competitive courses such as medicine, veterinary science and law. Our ethos of excellence also extends to the arts, humanities and sports science with sixth formers going on to study at degree level in large numbers in all of these disciplines.
Students who achieve highly in their GCSEs are encouraged to apply to join our Aspire Scholars Programme, which supports them to aim for the very top universities and professions. Students are given the opportunity to meet with other like minded sixth formers, attend summer schools and lectures from visiting speakers as well as being coached for interviews for university and internships.
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact QE Academy Trust directly.