Welcome to Hartlepool Sixth Form College
Welcome to Hartlepool Sixth Form College. A college that is rated ‘Good with Outstanding Features’ and the highest performing institution for A levels in Hartlepool. We offers the largest choice of academic subjects and you can also choose a large number of BTEC vocational courses suited to progression into Higher Education, apprenticeships and employment. Our staff are committed to helping you to achieve to the best of your ability, and we take interest in you as an individual. The flexibility that our timetable offers means that, unlike many other institutions, we can guarantee to make your timetable exclusively personal to you and tailored to your progression needs, either in Higher Education or directly into a career. Our proven academic record, with A Level pass rates averaging greater than 99% over many years means that you know that, with our experience of working exclusively with 16-19 year olds, you will achieve to your full potential whilst at the college and have a great time with students who share your interests along the way. Fun is an important aspect of college life! If you are enjoying your studies you will do well and therefore our student-centred approach is a key factor in helping you to enjoy your time at college. You will have excellent opportunities to enrichyour time with us including trips and visits tosupport your learning and there are a wide range of enrichment activities, including our unrivalled sporting academies, clubs and societies to choose from to support your personal development. We will support you with objective careersand guidance advice of the highest quality, outstanding pastoral support and specific in-subject support to help stretch and challenge you. As a college team we take pride in the quality of education that we offer and it is our intention to exceed your expectations. You may be learners today but we know that you have the potential of being leaders tomorrow. You will receive independent advice that will support your progression to University, Employment or for Higher Apprenticeships at the end of your studies here at the college. Do come and visit us at one of our Open Evenings on the below dates: Thursday 20th September 2016 6.00-8.00pm Tuesday 10th November 2016 6.00-8.00pm Tuesday 10th January 2017 6.00-8.00pm We will also be in contact about our fantastic range of Excel Programme events designed to ease your transition from school to college and fully prepare you for your studies. We look forward to meeting you but in the meantime please look on our website and social media pages including Twitter and Facebook to help keep you informed. Best Wishes
Hartlepool Sixth Form College is the only specialist Sixth Form College in the town. Please see below for some key information about our college performance:
- Throughout their study programmes learners improve their self-confidence and raise their expectations; as a result, they are well prepared
- The college has a tangible ethos of high expectation
- The large majority of learners make at least their expected progress in relation to their starting points and the number who progress to further study, higher education or employment is high
- A strong culture of inclusion and valuing the individual leads to learners respecting each other and staff. They feel very safe and their behaviour in college is exemplary
- Teachers and staff have high expectations of learners; teaching, learning and assessment are good overall
- Teachers are enthusiastic and passionate about learning; they are innovative in the classroom making good use of a broad range of teaching techniques that stimulate learners and develop their knowledge
Our expansive playing fields, and fully equipped on site facilities provide a perfect setting for athlete development. The Sports Hall and changing facilities are first class, along with a state of the art health and fitness suite with specialised areas for strength.
We have a Student Study Support Team who are based in the Library and their main purpose is to support all students, irrespective of study programme to help them to develop the skills that they need to fulfil their potential. There are also quiet areas around the college for students to work during ‘study periods’ and a vast range of IT facilities that will allow you to carry out research and complete tasks that you have been set. The Library holds an extensive range of reference books and each subject area will provide you with the relevant text book for their area. Our IT Support Team can also provide you with a laptop to use at home, free of charge to help you complete work outside of the classroom and during the holidays
There are numerous areas where you can study and kickback in between your lessons. The facilities include quiet work areas with computers, the ‘Student Study Zone’, College Library, Student Common Room, Student Chill Zone, the College Café and Costa Express. The atrium offers a very welcoming and supportive environment where you can choose to work or to take some time back and catch up with your friends
16-19 College Bursary Fund
The 16-19 College Bursary scheme is open to applicants throughout the academic year. The College uses the 16-19 Bursary fund to provide financial help to students from low-income households who are experiencing genuine hardship in relation to studying; this is carried out in strict accordance with the guidelines outlined by the EFA.Who can apply? Priority (Vulnerable) Bursary
If you are under 19 on 31st August 2016 and in one of the following categories:
- a young person in local authority care, e.g. children’s home, foster care
- a care leaver – leaving local authority care, e.g. children’s home, foster care
- a young person in receipt of Income Support in their own right
- a disabled young person in receipt of Employment Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance.
…you may be eligible for a bursary of up to £1200* a year for courses of 30 weeks.Discretionary Bursary
If you are under 19 on 31st August 2016 and:
- living in a household where the income is below £25,000
- enrolled onto a full time programme of FE learning.
…you may be eligible for a bursary.
Hartlepool Sixth Form College has an average 99% pass rate for A Level.
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact Hartlepool Sixth Form College directly.