Welcome to Great Yarmouth College
Great Yarmouth College Strategic Plan 2011-14 Vision
to make a difference to the community and economy of the Great Yarmouth area by developing individuals aged 14+ to contribute, achieve and succeed.
At the College we will:
- work to raise the aspirations of the people of Great Yarmouth and its surrounding communities to achieve their potential
- provide excellent learning opportunities for individuals aged 14+ to develop skills for life and for employment
- promote equality in all we do and celebrate diversity
- value and develop our staff
- seek to work collaboratively with partners and stakeholders to promote our values and mission
- ensure our organisation and infrastructure are highly effective in supporting our vision and mission.
The Key Strategic Objectives
To raise the aspirations of the people of Great Yarmouth area to achieve their
- providing accessible, high quality education and training with a clear ladder of progression from entry to higher education
- targeting support to individuals whose horizons may be limited through factors of multiple deprivation
- promoting through a wide range of activities recognition of “you can too” to the community
- As a learning organisation leading by example through constantly aspiring to achieve our own potential
- Initiating events and information which celebrate the diversity of the learner population and their achievements.
To deliver excellent learning opportunities to develop skills for life and for
- being the first choice for school leavers, adults and employers
- providing high quality learning opportunities for individuals aged 14+ that promote equality of opportunity and lead to continuously improving success rates by our learners
- ensuring our information, advice and guidance processes lead to the best possible programme for the individual
- providing high quality academic, social and personal support to individuals to enable success and progression
- ensuring we equip our learners with literacy, numeracy and language skills for life in general, success in employment and progression to further education and training
- using the views of external quality agencies to inform our own learning and development
- ensuring we provide a safe and healthy learning environment and promote safeguarding of our learners and develop their awareness of safe working practices
- seeking out best practice and innovative approaches to excite and enthuse all those involved in learning.
To value and develop our staff by:
- further improving communications which recognise staff as having expertise
- delivering an annual programme of professional development
- recognising ability and developing excellence
- developing a culture that attracts outstanding staff and inspires staff to excel.
To work collaboratively with partners and stakeholders to promote our values and mission by:
- engaging with businesses, voluntary and community organisations and agencies of government to create and deliver learning opportunities
- actively supporting employer and community organisations to promote learning, employment prosperity, equality of opportunity and to celebrate diversity
- working with other education and training providers to achieve business effectiveness and efficiency
- seeking to partner with other education and training providers to provide sub-regional services to meet the needs of individual learners and employers
- embedding involvement of stakeholders in our decision making and quality improvement processes.
To ensure our organisation, financial management and infrastructure are highly effective in supporting our vision and mission by:
- optimising income
- robust financial management
- investing, within our financial constraints, in technology and resources to support high quality and appropriate innovative learning
- developing the College’s management team at all levels to deliver inclusive leadership and robust performance management
- ensuring accessibility to our estate and learning resources for all
- enlightened and challenging Governors playing a fully supportive role.
Multi-million pound investment in facilities
Multi-million investment has transformed our campus and the experience for our students.
Industry-standard specialist facilities are installed across our main and west sites.Our latest £6m building project has just been completed and it looks amazing, come and see our:
- Bright new glass-fronted library – overlooking a landscaped courtyard. Our Library is a friendly environment for study and tuition with specialist staff happy to advise on resources and equipment.
- Job Shop – located in the new Learning Street, here you can drop in to see what is available and register your interest.
- College Shop – meeting all your stationery needs plus brand new GYC branded merchandise to show you’re a member of the GYC team!
- Coffee to go – a quick stop point for coffee, hot drinks and snacks – to enjoy in the light and airy “Atrium” or outside in the Courtyard.
Success rates at Great Yarmouth College place us in the top 25% of all Further Education Colleges and the best in the region.
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact Great Yarmouth College directly.