Welcome to Landau Forte College
It gives me great pleasure to welcome you to Landau Forte College Derby.
I was certain from my first visit to this school that it was the right choice for me as Principal. My aim is that any student or parent who walks through our doors feels the same sense of belonging.
As a popular and well-established secondary school and sixth form, the College has many strengths. It also has enormous potential and we are always adapting to make sure what we offer is the very best for families in Derby.
Our students are inquisitive and engaging young people of all abilities and backgrounds. We support them to achieve excellent qualifications and make exceptional progress with us.
With talented teachers, extensive facilities and activities and an array of trips each year, they benefit from a wealth of opportunities both inside and outside the classroom.
As an Outstanding school, we have high expectations of our students’ achievement and behaviour, and all members of the College uphold core values of respect, tolerance, courtesy and cooperation.
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions. I look forward to hearing from you.
Landau Forte College Derby was purpose built and opened in 1992 as the 14th City Technology College in England. As one of the original City Technology Colleges nationally it was a founding member of the City Technology Colleges Trust which has grown into the specialist schools movement known as the Specialist Schools and Academies Trust. In 2005 we were invited by HM Government to change our status from a College to an Academy and on 1 September 2006, after an agreement was reached between our Primary Sponsors the Landau Charitable Foundation and Rocco Forte Hotels Plc, we successfully completed the change.
Whilst the College is part of the national network of schools and colleges, it is owned and operated as an independent educational organisation, providing free full-time education for children from 11 to 19 years old who live mainly within the City of Derby or within a radius of 4.75 miles from the College. We have more than 1100 students with around a quarter of them in the post-16 phase.
The College has been established to bring together the worlds of business, industry and education in a uniquely productive partnership to secure the highest quality education for young people. We offer dual specialisms of Technology and Business Enterprise. Demand for places is very high and the College has been extended to accommodate more students and provide improved learning facilities for them.
The College provides a distinctive style of education. The aim is to make learning challenging, interesting and relevant to the future to ensure that our students:
- Have acquired the ability to think logically and approach situations with an open and inquiring mind.
- Become independent learners.
- Have discovered and developed their personal strengths, aptitudes and interests.
- Are familiar with the expectations of future employers.
- Understand how the industry is structured and operates.
- Are well equipped with the technological skills, adaptability and interpersonal skills necessary for employment and training.
- Have developed personal qualities of initiative, self-reliance and responsibility so that they grow into enterprising versatile and law-abiding citizens.
- Are encouraged to contribute to a better society which takes into account the needs of others and shows respect for people and the environment.
Landau Forte College Derby was very proud to be the first secondary school in the country to be awarded a Gold Level under the Learning Quality Framework. This is a nationally recognised standard that captures how key aspects of a school’s culture link together to assist in developing learning and learners. The LQF provides a lens through which an organisation can evaluate their learning journey and set themselves challenges, enabling them to move forward more effectively. After a period of rigorous self-evaluation and action planning, supported by TLO – The Learning Organisation, we have developed many aspects of our learning environment to the highest possible standards. By receiving the Gold Level award, we have been recognised for our achievements in creating a more expensive education for young people.Ethos & Culture
- Student learning, attainment, achievement and well-being are at the centre of strategic thinking, planning and actions.
- A ‘can do’ attitude is actively promoted and prevalent throughout the College.
- There is a culture of success where achievement is rewarded and celebrated.
- Underpinned by high aspirations and ambition for both students and staff there is an expectation for everyone to be determined and have a desire and commitment to continuously improve.
- The independent status of the College is fully embraced to encourage self-confidence, a pro-active approach and taking responsibility for one’s own actions whilst enabling rapid and appropriate response to changing circumstances.
In partnership with parents, the local community and industry Landau Forte College Derby seek to provide a high-quality, technologically and vocationally focused education which empowers each individual, giving everyone the motivation to learn and the capability to achieve success. In working towards the Mission there is a key objective within each of the following seven areas of activity:
- In relation to students
Equipping students with the qualifications, personal skills and attitudes required for successful adult life and creating an environment in which all people are valued and respected.
- In relation to the curriculum
Providing a broad, balanced, rigorous and innovative curriculum which will both meet the requirements of the National Curriculum and have a technological and vocational focus.
- In relation to the staff
Recruiting, retaining and developing a high-quality staff committed to working at Landau Forte College Derby.
- In relation to parents
Actively engaging parents and carers as partners in the education of their children.
- In relation to the operation of the College
Ensuring that the operation of the College is efficient and that sufficient resources are deployed effectively to achieve the objectives.
- In relation to industry and the local community
Developing close and mutually beneficial partnerships with industry and the local community.
- In relation to monitoring systems
Establishing effective systems for monitoring which will inform the process of continuous improvement.
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact Landau Forte College directly.