Welcome to Southmoor Academy
Welcome to The Sixth Form at Southmoor Academy. We opened for business in September 2014, and our aim is simple. We want to provide a new and exciting choice for all post-16 students in the area, regardless of the school they currently attend. We offer something unique; we are not here to add to what already exists locally. Our vision is to provide something different. We want to give young people the personal care, rigour, focus and aspiration, which many traditionally associate with a School. We also want to allow freedom to develop as responsible young adults which many see as the advantage to the College experience.
And so far, with an outstanding set of results from our first leavers, with the best pass rate in Sunderland, and 50% of our university applicants heading to Russell Group institutions, we think we're doing pretty well.
Our students benefit from the focused support of a six-strong team, bringing together a wealth of experience ranging from the insights of a local ex-pupil to those of an Oxford graduate with twelve years teaching experience in top London Sixth Forms. They benefit from the fresh approach of a brand new sixth form with no bad habits to break. And they benefit from a curriculum, and a timetable, custom designed to support students through the vital transition from GCSE to A-level, and beyond.
We live in an increasingly competitive world, where success only comes to those who show dedication and aspire to do their very best. This is exactly what we expect from you. We want you to imagine the very most that you can achieve and we want to take you beyond that. This means that when you join us we will set you demanding targets which we will expect you to meet. We want nothing short of academic excellence, and whilst we know that this is not easy to achieve, we firmly believe that nothing worth achieving is easy. The Sixth Form will not be easy, but it will bring out the best in you.
We want you to learn in an environment which is pleasant and stimulating. Above all, we want you to work in an area where you feel special…adult. That’s why we make sure that much of the teaching, studying and socialising will take place in our newly refurbished Sixth Form Centre which is wireless networked throughout. To ensure the best possible I.T. access, all students will be provided with a personal tablet device at no personal cost.
The center includes a café for food and drinks which are served throughout the day and this is linked up with our cyber café for more informal work and social networking. As well as a number of refurbished Sixth Form teaching spaces, with state of the art presentational devices, a new and upgraded science lab houses much of the A level Science teaching. The Centre also has a Student Resource area where advice and encouragement can be sought for university applications and careers options.
Our support starts before you do. We want to make sure that you are on exactly the right course and that you have a clear idea of the value of that course to your future choices. Before you start, you will have an interview with the Director of Sixth Form who will seek to match your choices with all the available options.
- A two day induction program in July to prepare student for Sixth Form teaching.
- A dedicated Sixth Form tutor who will support you through the two years, from delivering a weekly lesson in study skills and time management at the start of year 12, to guiding you through university applications or the search for other further opportunities after the end of year 13.
- After and before school study sessions.
- The extra support of our sixth form Progress Mentor – trained in helping students struggling with the demands of sixth form teaching, as well as in helping those who are flourishing aim higher and aspire further. Every student will have a half termly appointment, but can also drop in for advice whenever they want.
- Surface tablets are given to each student upon enrolling with The Sixth Form. These are for individual and group study work to aid students in achieving the most from their Sixth Form courses. The Surface tablets run the latest version of Windows and Microsoft Office and works both as a touch screen tablet and as a stand-alone laptop.
As far as we’re concerned, our job is to make sure you can move on to the course or job you want the day you leave us. Everything we do is structured around preparing you for that, not least the extensive network of connections our Progress Mentors have built up.
Here are just some of the opportunities we can offer:
- Partnerships with Newcastle and Durham Universities to allow students to use facilities and experience University study.
- Programs, including PARTNERS and Realising Opportunities, that will allow students to attend prestigious summer schools designed to give them a head start when applying for Russell Group universities.
- In-School and out-of-school Higher Education events.
- Trips to universities across the country.
- Specialist advice and support for those applying for Oxbridge, Medicine, Law and other competitive courses.
- Trained advice from experienced teachers and our dedicated Sixth Form Progress Mentors.
- Visiting speakers from Russell Group Universities.
- Opportunities to study beyond the curriculum, through the Extended Project and Global Perspectives
How to apply
You can apply for courses at Southmoor Academy through UCAS Progress. Add courses to your favourites to apply to this provider.