Welcome to Anthony Gell School
Anthony Gell School is a very special place to learn. We are a high achieving, 11-18 mixed comprehensive school, with a proud history of success.
Our success is based on a commitment to personal growth and a desire to meet the needs of individual students. It is built on a clear understanding of the conditions required for effective learning. We sustain our success because the following foundations are in place:
- highly effective pastoral systems that provide the support and direction necessary for achievement exemplified by the excellent working relationships between staff and students
- high expectations of academic progress, pace and challenge appropriate to each individual learner
- an inclusive curriculum that provides challenge, motivates young people and staff, and enables progression, through excellent teaching that develops students as independent learners whilst equipping them with the knowledge they need
- numerous opportunities for creativity, critical analysis, problem solving, decision making, communicating and collaborating as well as using new technologies
- effective opportunities for the student voice to be heard and student leadership to be developed
- effective partnerships with parents and local, national and international communities
- high quality teaching and support by a dedicated and well-informed staff
As Headteacher I see it as my responsibility to ensure that Anthony Gell is a community in which learners are safe and happy, well supported and inspired. Within this learning environment students are confident, aware of their potential and work hard in order to achieve academic excellence and self-fulfilment. Students and staff share a sense of pride in our collective achievements and a sense of belonging to something quite special.
Our academic results are higher than ever and the quality of our sporting, artistic and community work goes from strength to strength.
Our teaching and support staff are outstanding and we commit significant resources to their professional development. Our students are eager to learn and justifiably proud of their school.
We are always open to visitors and would be happy to welcome you into school so you can appreciate the exceptional learning atmosphere that exists here at Anthony Gell.
Our sixth form is primarily set up to enable students to attain what are called Level 3 qualifications. These are A Levels split into AS levels in Y12 and A2 levels in Y13, and Btec Nationals and Cambridge Nationals. Qualifications at this level give access to Higher Education as well as a wide range of training and employment opportunities. In addition we do offer some opportunity to improve or extend Level 2 qualifications and some scope to link courses to planned work experience where that is thought appropriate.
We offer a wide range of subjects which include all the courses which are required to enter any university course and more besides. We aim to keep class sizes as small as possible so that students get as much help and support as they need.
Although we are a relatively small school we do have a thriving and successful sixth form with large numbers of students choosing to stay on. Around 60% of our students stay on to study post-16 with the majority of these students going on to university. Our results are very good.
In recent years;
- our pass rate is 99%
- Up to 78% of grades have been at grade C and above
- We had a record number of A* grades this year
- Our students have gained entrance to Oxbridge Colleges in each year
- In many subjects our results are ahead of the County averages
The applied courses (such as Business, Cambridge National in ICT and Health and Social Care and BTEC Music) are now just as viable a route to university as the more traditional courses.
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact Anthony Gell School directly.