Welcome to Sutton Community Academy
I am delighted to be Principal at Sutton Community Academy. During my time at the Academy, I will be committed to working with the staff, students and the local community together with our sponsor, Academy Transformation Trust, to transform learning, aspirations and opportunities for our students and the community in which they live.
We believe that every child matters and deserves a first class education. We believe everyone has hidden potential to be uncovered and nurtured.
I bring a wealth of experience to my new role in the areas of improving teaching and learning and raising standards from my previous roles.
Here at Sutton Community Academy, our vision includes:
- Creating a culture of high expectations, raising of standards and improving the core skills of all students
- Having a clear sense of purpose with students who are given the drive and ambition to succeed
- Teachers trained to bring out the best in every student
- Using experts from our sponsor to support rapid progress and implementing improvement plans where needed
- A firm emphasis on good behaviour so that the environment we provide is calm and orderly for all students and our staff
- High expectations of smart uniform, attendance, punctuality and excellent manners.
I look forward to the opportunity of meeting and working with you to ensure your child receives the best possible chance of achieving their full potential.
Background and Ethos
Sutton Community Academy is a Community Academy for students aged 11-18. The Academy has a commitment to developing the potential of each individual child by striving for academic success; by valuing and encouraging the special talents of all children; by looking to educate the whole child in a wide range of personal skills; and by providing good discipline based on a firm, consistent and supportive system of pastoral care. The Academy is sponsored by Academy Transformation Trust who are a leading multi academy trust committed to transforming the learning opportunities and aspirations for its students and the communities in which they live. Academy Transformation Trust believe, like us, that every child matters and deserves a first class education. We are committed to playing our part in giving young people the education and opportunities they need to succeed in a changing world.
Sutton Community Academy has established its key principles for success.
- student achievement in all its forms is at the heart of everything we do
- that all staff and students are valued and supported
- that all staff give 100% commitment to supporting our students to excel
- collaboration and support for each other ensures a strong and effective organisation
- collaboration with local, national and international industry in all its forms will be a significant part of what we do to support our commitment of preparing students for life after education
- consultation and collaboration at all times with all members of the trust network will ensure progress for all
- commitment to meaningful learning opportunities to ensure no student fails to achieve and progress to a useful, fulfilling and appropriate life pathway
- the strengthening of parental engagement, community cohesion and the development of a Learning Community Model
- maximising the use of new technologies to strengthen independent learning
- developing innovative solutions to challenges and change
Commitment to our students
The students in our academy are our highest priority. We need to demonstrate our pledge to them, to support them to achieve and be able to access life opportunities.
This means that we will:
- support all students to achieve at the highest level
- ensure that all students achieve a progression qualification, supported by a recognised industry qualification, with achievement of 5 GCSE’s including English and maths exceeding national averages
- offer all students in all Key Stages, learning personalised to their needs
- offer all students in all Key Stages, innovative and cutting edge e-learning opportunities ensuring all are able to master new technologies as they emerge
- offer careers and vocational advice at all Key Stages, to ensure that no student leaves education without a career plan
- offer students the opportunity to be recognised for their achievement through varied and high profile awards strategies
- ensure that all students are well prepared for managing their life beyond education
- offer all students an entitlement to a range of extra curriculum experiences which broaden their horizons and raises their aspirations
Our students and communities are at the heart of everything we do. We aim to:
- maximise community use of our facilities; ensuring that they benefit the local community, our students and staff and help improve their quality of life
- increase and improve the quality of sporting and physical activity opportunities for the local community, our students and staff
- provide opportunities for local people and sporting organisations to participate in high quality sport and physical activity and develop their skills and abilities
- support community groups in helping to raise standards of coaching, training and volunteering
- work with the right people in order to maximise all potential resources available so we can ensure the continued development of our sporting and community facilities.
We have a clear Behaviour Policy and as a guiding principle the phrase “Consideration for Others” which we constantly reinforce with our students and which helps to create the very special atmosphere of Sutton Community Academy; happy, purposeful and right for learning.
I hope that this gives you a flavour of what we are all about at Sutton Community Academy. We look forward to our onward journey to outstanding.
Multi-Purpose Activity Area
The Multi-Purpose Activity Area is a very versatile area, which is utilised by many different groups and activities.
• Martial Arts
• Exercise Classes
• Table Tennis
Grass Football Pitches
Sutton Lawn Pleasure Ground has 3 Grass Football Pitches that are managed by Sutton Community Academy. These are hired to many different Junior / Adult community groups for training and league fixtures throughout the year.
Toilets, Changing Rooms and Showers are available at Garden Lane Pavilion next to the main car park.
3G Football Pitch
• Third Generation Grass Rubber Crumb Synthetic Football Pitch
• Flood Lights
• Open 7 days a week
• Markings Include:
- 1 Full size Pitch (UEFA and FIFA approved surface)
- 1/3 of a pitch (width ways)
- 1/4 of a pitch (Mini Soccer)
• Suitable from Grass Routes to Professional Football Level
• Hosts Adult Soccer League
Main Sports Hall
The Main Sports Hall is a large hall that can cater for many different sports, activities and events. The room is also fitted with state of the art LED lighting.
• Football (5 a-side)
• 6 x Badminton Courts
• Floor mounts for Gymnastics Equipment
The Theatre is a very unique community provision and is perfect for many different community uses: The Theatre has movable seating to maximise the performance space during rehearsals, prior to performances.
• School Productions
• Amateur Dramatic Societies
• Music Concerts
• Band Rehearsals
• Stage Schools
• Conferences / Lectures
• Lighting Desk
• Sound / Music Desk
• Movable Seating for up to 230 people
The Facility has a fantastic provision for Squash and the largest provision in Ashfield.
• 3 x Squash Courts (England Squash Regulation Specification)
• 3 x Viewing balconies (ideal for tournaments and for spectators)
• All courts are fitted with state of the art LED Lighting
Function nad Meeting Rooms
The Princess Suite is a large self-contained area that is perfect for many different community uses.
• Private Functions
• Meetings / Conferences
• Training Courses
• Tables and Chairs
• Projectors and Screens
• Air Conditioned
If your booking requires a smaller area we can also provide different rooms to meet your requirements.
All Post-16 students will have a Personal Tutor. The tutor will register their form and mentor each student for a one-to-one session of around 20 minutes on a regular basis during a review period. The meeting will focus on review data. From the meetings, targets will be set for the future. Any issues raised will be dealt with to ensure the student maintains good progress. We have a very clear system in the Sixth Form of monitoring and checking every student to ensure that all students reach their full potential.
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact Sutton Community Academy directly.