Welcome to Ysgol Brynrefail
At Ysgol Brynrefail we offer a range of provision for students opting to follow post 16 education courses.
Entering on a post-16 education course is a major voluntary decision which, when undertaken, implies a sound commitment to the negotiated course of study. A greater responsibility rests on the post-16 student for developing new, independent learning skills, making intelligent confident decisions and improving personal skills in a wider community context. Each student is expected, therefore, to give priority, with regard to time and effort, to pursuing her/his studies towards the most successful conclusion, commensurate with her/his potential. A positive attitude towards the future will be the most valuable support throughout.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
1. Support and professionalism.
2. A commitment to high academic standards and caring for students.
3. Consideration and sensitive response to your ideas, problems and opinions.
4. A wide range of courses including A level, A/S and Vocational Studies, and the Welsh Baccalaureate at Level 3 which includes career guidance, business awareness, work experience and community involvement.
5. Encouragement to develop those personal skills which will enable you to become a responsible adult citizen.
6. A Sixth Form Common Room, a Library and quiet facilities for study.
7. Regular assessments and reports on academic progress for parents.
COURSES FOR 16+ STUDENTS AT YSGOL BRYNREFAIL
1. The traditional A level courses.
2. A level courses delivered by the Arfon Schools Consortium and Coleg Menai
3. Advanced Supplementary courses.
4. Vocational Qualifications.
5. The Core - all Year 12 and 13 students will follow a core skills course following the Welsh BAC requirements
6. Essential Skills - with a recognised national qualification at the end of the course.
EXTRA CURRICULAR DUTIES AND ACTIVITIES
Whole School Integration
All senior students will be expected to help with Lower School pupils on occasions e.g.
i) The school eisteddfod.
ii) Peer tutoring - assisting pupils in lessons.
iii) Assisting PE staff by refereeing games and with extra-curricular activities
iv) Becoming involved in school activities.
v) Leading fund raising activities for charitable concerns.
vi) Supporting the literacy and numeracy classes during the morning assembly periods
EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
The School Eisteddfod
Sixth Form students take a leading role in organising, running and preparing younger pupils for the annual school eisteddfod. This helps to develop pupils’ organisational, artistic and leadership skills.
Christmas Party for Ysgol Pendalar
Year 12 students annually organise a Christmas Party for pupils with Special Educational Needs from Ysgol Pendalar Caernarfon. This involves raising money, organising the catering and entertainment and recording the event. This encourages the development of students' organisational abilities and social skills whilst benefiting others.
Orchestra - Area, County
School Choir and other musical groups.
Pendalar Christmas Party
Raising money for charity, etc.
The Welsh Baccalaureate qualification will provide opportunities to assess and accredit core and extra-curricular activities.
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact Ysgol Brynrefail directly.