Welcome to West Cheshire College
Learning at West Cheshire College is very special, it’s about giving you real experience, practical skills and knowledge - we believe everyone who learns and trains at the College should achieve their full potential. I am conident that we can help you achieve your ambitions and your goals.
Here at West Cheshire College we strongly feel we inspire talent, underpinned with our key characteristics - Learn, Experience, Succeed and Grow; all of which support successful learning and training.
West Cheshire College offers a fantastic range of courses and Apprenticeships and you should choose to continue your education and training with us. We are particularly proud of our state-of-the-art learning resources, giving you unique, specialised experiences.
Please take time to look through the prospectus; it gives you a good insight into courses, support and College life in general. I’m sure there will be a course or Apprenticeship programme to meet your individual needs and abilities.
Our real work environments allow students to develop their skills and knowledge. These include a 54-seater replica aircraft cabin for travel and tourism, a performance theatre, media and games resources, industrial kitchens and restaurants, textile and fashion workspaces, construction project areas, engineering workshops, science labs, motor vehicle bays, artists’ studios, hair and beauty salons, computer suites, learning and study centres and sports facilities.
We want you to enjoy your time with us and hope you’ll also take full advantage of everything that is on offer. From fashion shows, theatre performances, music gigs and art exhibitions, there is something for everyone! The College offers facilities such as restaurants, cafés, a theatre, a itness suite, shops, a beauty spa, Costa coffee outlets and relaxing chill-out areas - all support your time at College.
Whilst we offer learning and training opportunities for many students, we never lose sight of you as an individual. You can choose an area of study which suits your abilities and interests and prepares you for your next steps. Our support and guidance activities encourage all our students to achieve, if not exceed, their full potential - be that progress to university, start up your own business, or enter your chosen career.
We are very proud of our individual student achievements, whether through exam results, work placements or the wide range of enrichment activities; all of which are so important to College life at West Cheshire College. You may even get the chance to be the ‘Principal for the Day’ and shadow me during a typical day at the College.
We work with hundreds of employers from different sectors of industry - many are names you know like Vauxhall Motors, Unilever, McArthurGlen Cheshire Oaks Designer Outlet, Virgin Airlines and the National Health Service. This means that you are in a great position when you eventually leave us and enter your chosen career.
Our expert staff are extremely helpful and knowledgeable, if you can’t ind what you’re looking for, do get in touch - we are constantly adding new and exciting courses and training opportunities, so please give us a call on 01244 656555.
West Cheshire College: a vibrant place to be, a special place to learn - we’re very proud that our students succeed in achieving their ambitions. I look forward to welcoming you to the College.
Principal and Chief Executive
West Cheshire College is a specialist Further Education College, with Campuses in Ellesmere Port and Chester. We offer learning opportunities, including Apprenticeships and full-time programmes, to young people aged 14 to 19 and part-time opportunities to adults, including professional qualifications, HNCs and HNDs, and Foundation Degrees. The College’s commercial team also deliver bespoke training solutions and Apprenticeships to small to medium-sized enterprises, as well as the region’s largest companies, including Vauxhall, Unilever, Marks and Spencer, Debenhams, the NHS and Scottish Power.
- Employability and Enterprise
At West Cheshire College you will undertake a Study Programme that will consist of your main qualification, English and maths, enrichment, experiencing the world of work, and other relevant activities. If you are aged 16-17 years your study programme will consist of 540+ hours of academic study including English and maths over 35 weeks. At 18 years of age and over you will be required to undertake 450+ hours of academic study including English and maths over 35 weeks.
Learning with West Cheshire College
- You’ll gain relevant hands-on experience in the workplace
- Career-related visits, guest speakers and residential visits will enhance your industry knowledge
- Maths, English and IT skills are really important to employers so we help everyone develop skills in these areas
- Specialist support is available for all students
- We have the latest high-quality learning resources
- Our highly qualified Information, Advice and Guidance Team can offer impartial advice and guidance on a range of learning opportunities as well as qualified careers advice
- We can help you prepare for work and university - helping you write your CV, application form or personal statement
- To help you be successful we agree milestone targets and review your progress regularly
- We encourage you to set personal challenges and to achieve these
- We encourage students to get involved with fundraising and volunteering projects to enhance their CVs
Take advantage of discounted hair and beauty treatments in our salons, subsidised meals and drinks in our cafés, ine dining restaurant and Costa coffee outlets.
Start your day well with a FREE breakfast
As a student of the College you are also eligible for a FREE breakfast every morning before you start your course to get you ready for the day.
No. 65: the College shop
No. 65 sells a range of essential items such as stationery, sweets, chocolates and drinks, plus you can buy the latest fashions from clothing lines sourced by our own fashion students.
The Study Centre
The Study Centre is available for you to use to support your learning and research needs whilst at College. You can access a range of services such as:
- Books, e-books, DVDs, newspapers, journals and magazines
- PCs, laptops and Apple Mac computers
- Pre-booked and drop-in support for assignments
- A designated Study Skills Oficer to assist with academic writing, referencing and research skills
- Cameras and camcorders
- Printing, photocopying and scanning facilities
Healthy body, healthy mind - Fitness Gym
As a student of the College you can use the gym facilities free of charge after you have completed a gym induction. The gym is very well-equipped with the latest Cybex training equipment including a free weights area, running machines, step machines and core stability equipment. Individual itness programmes designed to suit your requirements are available on request.
Whilst you are at West Cheshire College we will do our best to support you to ensure you are successful. We can offer help and support whatever your needs are or we can refer you to external agencies and specialists to ensure your needs are met.
What we offer:
- Our Learning Support Team have a wealth of experience and knowledge in helping students who have physical and learning difficulties. Specialist staff work closely with our students, both in groups and on an individual basis.
- We have a team of fully trained counsellors who are available to talk to if you have something to discuss and don’t feel you can talk to anyone else.
- If English is not your first language we offer English language and maths support.
We also have staff who can help with the practical aspects of being at College including:
- Careers Advice
- Transport and Travel
- Finance and Funding
For more information, call 01244 656555 or drop into one of our Campuses.
Our students succeed in getting the jobs they want and many go on to university or Higher Education.
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact West Cheshire College directly.