Welcome to South Tyneside College
With so much choice available selecting a course to study can be a huge decision. Rest assured choosing South Tyneside College as your place of study is a big step towards changing your life.
We are renowned for our friendly and welcoming atmosphere we offer to all of our students, but there is so much more to South Tyneside College...
- Thousands of students choose to study at South Tyneside College every year - from the local community, across the UK and over 30 countries worldwide
- A commitment to quality that is second to none
- A strong track record of success and we’re very proud of the achievements of our students, both academic and personal
- Outstanding employers links – helping you improve your career prospects
- High quality student support, advice and guidance
- A commitment to ensuring that we do everything possible to help you achieve your full potential and fulfil your aspirations
- We value all people equally, foster an ethos of mutual respect and promote equality of opportunity
- We aim to be excellent in all that we do through continuous innovation and quality improvement, best practice and releasing the potential of all of our staff
- We work in partnership with others to maximise the benefit for learners and to develop the skills needed in the local, regional and national economy
We look forward to welcoming you and allowing you to see for yourself why South Tyneside College is a great place to be!
The Learning Resource Centre (LRC)
The Learning Resource Centre provides students access to extensive collections of learning materials including books, newspapers, periodicals, videos, electronic books, e-resources (online databases) and a collection of music and film media for leisure time. IT drop-in and printing facilities are also available, students have access to 82 workstations, 16 net books and 37 laptops.
Hair & Beauty Salons
The college offers excellent facilities for learning alongside great opportunities for developing commercial experience in our suite of salons. The ‘Top-to Toe’ area has four fully-equipped, modern hairdressing salons, three dedicated beauty therapy salons and a new barber shop. All of these are open to the general public, including any college staff and students. These facilities help our learner to gain their qualifications and also to be fully-prepared for the commercial pressures of working in a salon, dealing with clients, customer service and money.
Bistro 150 offers a wide range of options, from 'express' lunches to full restaurant menus. The food is prepared and served by our students, under the supervision of highly experienced chefs, working in fully-commercial environments - especially with the occasional visiting celebrity chef putting the teams under pressure! The area also has a commercial food production operation, selling direct through college outlets, involving students in retail aspects of the industry. The Bistro is open to the general public - contact the college for information and details of forthcoming theme nights.
- C Store – Located at the front of the College, a convenience store, stocking a wide range of Confectionary and Soft Drinks, a Deli Fresh range variety of Sandwiches, Wraps and Salad pots, Bake & Bite selection of premium of hot patisseries, along with a variety of Sports in Science products, we also have a section dedicated to an Under Armour clothing range.
- Refectory – Located at the front of the College. The Refectory serves Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and offers a selection of hot meals, Desserts, Homemade Sandwiches, Salad selection, Soft drinks and Hot beverages. The Refectory has ample seating on two floors
- Costa Main – Located at the front of the College at the bottom of the Refectory, Costa main offers a Premium Costa Coffee variety. Breakfast and Lunch is available at Costa serving a range of Sandwiches, patisseries, Jacket Potatoes, desserts and host to a very popular Salad Deli Bar.
If you need extra support to study your course, our learning support team is on hand to help you. They will discuss any requirements you have and put an individual package of support in place for you.
Examples of the kind of support we can provide include:
Special exam arrangements
One to one support, in and out of the classroom
Help with personal care needs
Trained and experienced learning support assistants
Specialist software and equipment
Communication support workers
Qualified Teacher of the Deaf
Assessment and support for dyslexia
Note takers/ scribes
Maths, English and ESOL support
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact South Tyneside College directly.