Welcome to South Cheshire College
Welcome to South Cheshire College
I am delighted that you are considering South Cheshire College to continue your studies.
South Cheshire College is one of the UK’s leading Further Education colleges and our year-on-year outstanding results are the envy of the sector.
In 2014, we announced our best-ever A-Level and vocational results, however, we never allow ourselves to be complacent and are already working hard to maintain our status as the first choice for school leavers across the region.
Everybody at South Cheshire College is committed to ensuring that you excel in your chosen programme and leave college with results and skills that will better equip you for university, an apprenticeship or employment.
We understand that every student is different. OFSTED have praised our Personal Development Tutor system which provides outstanding pastoral support and mentoring. All our support services and courses are tailored to meet your individual needs.
South Cheshire College provides a safe, happy and innovative learning experience which will stretch and challenge you to achieve your full potential. Values such as commitment, responsibility, honesty and respect are the foundations on which our many years of sector-leading success are based.
You will have access to world class inspirational facilities which are the result of a £75m investment. In addition to our university-standard classrooms, we also have industry-standard facilities which include an impressive sports arena, training kitchens, restaurants, hair and beauty salons, recording studios and engineering and construction workshops.
Our strong links with local employers means you will have access to work placements and industry professionals ensuring that you are well equipment for future employment. We are immensely proud of the hundreds of students that go on to University each year. Our unique partnership with the University of Oxford’s Pembroke College and Corpus Christi College means we have guest lectures from world renowned experts at the College as well workshops at Oxford.
Our Open Events give you the perfect opportunity to explore our enviable facilities and the wide variety of courses on offer. You will be able to talk to the tutors and current students at these events.
I hope you will come and join us at South Cheshire College and I look forward to welcoming you in the near future. If you have any questions, concerns or queries please do not hesitate to contact us.
South Cheshire College is the home of post-16 education in Crewe and Nantwich and one of the leading tertiary and sixth form colleges nationally.
It is located on a single campus situated in a residential area about one and a half miles from Crewe town centre, ten minutes walk from the train station and with close links to Junctions 16 & 17 of the M6 motorway.
Students are attracted to the College from throughout South and East Cheshire, notably Crewe, Nantwich, Alsager, Middlewich, Sandbach and Congleton but also from areas further-a-field such as Stoke-on-Trent and Shropshire.
The College provides education in the main for 16 to 19 year-olds but also offers a range of courses for adults, many of who are returning to education after a long break, and apprenticeships and other work related training programmes which are very beneficial to employers across the region.
South Cheshire College prides itself on excellent results year after year and constantly achieves results well above the national average.
In 2014, the College announced its best ever set of vocational and A-Level results, with a 99.7% pass rate for A-Levels and 61% of students achieved Distinction* grades on vocational programmes.
The excellent teaching and learning which the College provides was reflected in three consecutive outstanding Ofsted inspections in 1999, 2004 and 2008.
South Cheshire College is also developing strong links with educational institutions around the world in countries such as China and Thailand.
As a result, students from these countries are coming to the College to study A-Levels, vocational programmes and other shorter courses and students are being housed with local families throughout their stay through the College’s ‘Homestay’ programme. South Cheshire College has strong links with Oxford University and is the Pembroke North hub for the University’s Pembroke College.
It is also the North West Science Centre in partnership with the University of Oxford’s Corpus Christi College and Pembroke College.
College students work closely with the University of Oxford through the Honours and Raising Aspirations programmes which provide opportunities for personal and academic achievement and gives students the competitive edge they need when applying to the most prestigious universities in the country.
The College has achieved the acclaimed STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) status and it has also received numerous other awards including Beacon Status which recognises excellent institutions that deliver high quality teaching and learning. In 2006 and 2007, the College was named in the Sunday Times 100 Best Companies to Work For list, finishing 61st in 2006 and 58th in 2007.
Finally, the College has some of the finest further education facilities in the country, after the campus was completely rebuilt on the same site, before re-opening to staff and students in September 2010.
A huge sports arena, theatre, state-of-the-art workshops, three-storey library and café outlets are just some of the wonderful facilities that make South Cheshire College a wonderful environment to come and study in.
Make the most of our amazing facilities
Our outstanding campus is one of the finest Further Education buildings in the country and a place where you will love coming to study.
It provides the perfect surroundsing to achieve your goals and gain qualifications that can set you on the road to university of employment. It also offers many other state-of-the-art facilities which you can enjoy.
- Learn & Live The College campus is semi-circular in design. The Crescent, with a glass atrium looking out into The Copse of trees, is the central feature of the building. Classrooms are all equipped with computing and AV equipment, as well as advanced environmental controls to ensure comfortable surroundings
- high Tech, Low-Impact All classrooms are naturally ventilated which means the temperature is always comfortable, whatever the season, and windows are angled to gain or minimise sunlight during different seasons. The campus has been developed with you in mind, providing facilities which will give you the best opportunity to succeed whilst you’re with us.
- I.T. Facilities There are a number of high-tech features of the campus, one of which is the wireless network which means you can log on to the computer network virtually at any place or time, either indoors or outdoors. The College has lots of specialist I.T. rooms as well as interactive whiteboards and digital projectors in classrooms. I.T. plays a big part in what we do and every classroom is fitted with power and data points so whether you bring your own laptop to college, or you borrow one from The Learning Resource Centre, you’ll be able to plug it in by your desk and get on with your work. Students have free internet access anytime during college opening hours and when you start here you’ll be given your own e-mail address.
- Realistic Work Environments Many of our facilities are realistic work environments where you can learn key practical skills and you may get to work in these areas depending on which course you’re studying. Some of these areas are sponsored by industry. A number of these areas are open to, or are available for hire by the public, throughout the week and at weekends. If you’re studying a vocational course you may get to practice your skills or serve customers who have come in to use the facilities. Examples of the realistic work environments are: Ableworld Mock Hospital Ward Dance Studios Engineering and Construction Workshops Entry Level Independent Living Flat Hair and Beauty Salons Music Studios Outdoor Multi Use Games Area Recording Studios Science Labs Sports Arena Theatre Training Kitchens and Restaurant TV and Radio Studios
- Take a Break There are four café outlets on campus, including a Costa Coffee, where you can buy anything ranging from a cold snack or drink to a hot meal or a healthy salad. The main café in The Crescent is where you’ll normally find events such as live music and exhibitions happening.
- College Shop The Shop is well stocked with everyday supplies such as sandwiches, snacks, newspapers, magazines, gifts and much more. It also stocks items which you may find useful for your course such as text books, art materials or photography and I.T. supplies.
Every student is assigned a Personal Development Tutor (PDT) whose role is to support and guide individual students.
You can also expect excellent levels of support for the students which include:
- Suitable study and learning resource facilities
- An environment which is healthy and safe
- Access to computing and other equipment that enables your son/daughter to complete their course work
- Access to careers and welfare advisors at all stages of their study
- Access to a confidential counselling service
- Appropriate tutorial and learning support
2015 was another outstanding year of academic achievement at South Cheshire College which saw an increase in students achieving top grades on both A Level corses and vocational programmes.
- 99.7% A Level pass rate
- 98% Extended Diploma pass rate
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact South Cheshire College directly.