Welcome to Reading College
If you’ve just left school, are about to leave school or are just wondering what to do next, welcome to Reading College!
We can help you to do whatever you it is you want to do. We’re specialists in everything to do with young people and their future.
Through career-related training, work skills development, career advice, personal development and one-to-one support, we make sure you have everything you need to progress successfully to higher-level education or employment.
At this college, you get much more than a qualification. You get an experience – an experience that sets you up for your future.
Are you ready for that? Start your journey with Reading College.
In our fast changing and competitive world, we know that students need to do more than just gain a qualification to achieve their aspirations.
AT READING COLLEGE, WE DO OUR BEST TO ENSURE THAT OUR STUDENTS GO FURTHER.
As you look around our website, you’ll see that we offer more than just a qualification – we will support you to fulfil your ambitions and reach your goals.
Whether starting your career, planning a career change or career progression, we will equip you with the employability skills and confidence to succeed in the workplace.
Whichever course you choose you will find that learning here is a shared experience. You will learn in collaboration with your tutors and peers using the latest technology.
Learning won’t just take place in the classroom; you will learn in our industry standard facilities, learning zones and on trips. Most importantly learning here is fun and directly relevant to your chosen industry.
We have created a friendly and vibrant community at the College to ensure that students work hard, but also enjoy their time here.
Francesco and The Salon - Hair and Beauty therapy students will train and learn in The Salon, our on-campus salon. Level 3 students will also have the opportunity to work at Francesco’s, our student learning company. In our commercial salons, you will offer a wide range of treatments to paying customers.
The Kitchen - the modern facilities and equipment in The Kitchen provides catering and front of house students with the opportunity to prepare for future employment by training in a commercial kitchen environment and providing a first class service to paying customers.
Motor vehicle and construction - MOT standard motor vehicle workshops, construction and building workshops for bricklaying, plastering, plumbing, heating and ventilation, painting and decorating, wood trades. We also have a purpose built Gas and Energy Centre in Wokingham.
Art, design and fashion studios - specialist space for developing your creative skills with ceramics, wood and metal, printmaking, fashion, textiles and photography.
Digital zone - with several Apple Mac computer suites, technology is at the forefront for any budding graphic or product designer.
Performing arts - a fully equipped theatre space with lighting rig, sound system, projection facilities and a dance studio with mirrored walls, ballet bars and professional sprung dance floors.
Media and photography studios – media students will film professional video cameras both on location and in our TV studio (with green screen capabilities!), control room with TriCaster vision mixer ‘grip’ equipment. Footage will be edited using Apple’s Final Cut Pro video editing software and Adobe CS6 in our Apple Mac suites. Photography students will have access to professional equipment, photography studios and dark room.
Music - budding musicians or music technicians will benefit from training in our specialist music and media Apple Mac suites, five rehearsal spaces, fully equipped with PA systems, drum kits, guitar and bass amps, keyboards and DJ rigs and in our recording studios using equipment such as our large Raindirk mixing console.
Sixth Form Centre - our dedicated learning space for AS and A-level study.
Engineering workshops - engineers will have access to mechanical engineering workshops, an electrical lab and IT facilities running the latest CAD and engineering software.
Science labs - our scientific labs are equipped for chemistry, biology and physics classes.
IT resources - there are PCs available to students throughout the college. Every classroom has a dedicated PC and digital projector, and most are equipped with a smart board. In our collaborative rooms, you can use iPads, laptops and touchscreen PCs.
The library - you will have access to electronic resources, databases, books, newspapers, CDs and DVDs. The library staff will help you locate information, understand referencing and use our electronic databases. There are study spaces with access to PCs for individual or group work.
The Refectory, Cafe 50, Aspretto - hot and cold food is available throughout the day from our food outlets, with hot meals available daily at lunchtimes. There are also vending machines for snacks and hot and cold drinks.
Blast Radio - Blast 1386 began in April 2002 and aims to serve the student body with music and chat to interest everyone. This is your station so if you want a song played, even one of your own! You can also download our very own student designed and produced app by searching the app stores for "Blast 1386".
There’s almost too much to mention! The best way to see it all is to come to the campus for one of our open evening and see it for yourself.
We are always available to talk, so please contact us if you would like to discuss any support needs. We are here to help!
We help students with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in a variety of ways:
- A new Autism Spectrum Disorder Centre opened in September 2014. It offers 1-1 support, Speech and Language and Occupational Therapy provision for learners with an Autism Spectrum Condition who are not able to access a mainstream environment
- Deaf support is available for our hearing impaired students
- We run a fully-equipped Disability Living Allowance (DLA) assessment centre for HE, helping assess students for financial help
- Dyslexia support includes assessment for special arrangements during exams and some 1-1 and small group support
- Our exams office supports students who need additional time during exams, scribes, readers or additional equipment
- Learning Support Assistants offer 1-1 or small group support to students with a variety of additional needs.
- We have a dedicated LLD/D Department, including specialist tutors and LSA’s who teach and support to students with additional needs
- Profound and Multiple Learning Disability provision is available at Ravenswood Village for students who are unable to access mainstream college. We offer 1-1 support from teaching and support staff
- Specialist medically trained staff are available, who have received training in epilepsy and the administration of buccal midazolam
- Support plans are written for any students who have additional needs that impact their learning, including emotional, physical or others.
Reading College is well-known for vocational courses and apprenticeships. In 2013, 220 students studied on A-level programmes in our Sixth Form Centre, where we provide high quality academic education in a college environment.
- 98% overall pass rate
- 100% of English Language and Literature students achieved A*-B
- 62% of psychology students gained an A*- B grade
- 98% overall pass rate
- 54% Sociology students achieved A*-B
- 48% Maths students achieved A*-B
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact Reading College directly.