Welcome to Northern School of Contemporary Dance
NSCD is an international centre of excellence offering specialist, conservatoire-level dance education in an intimate and bespoke setting. Based in Leeds, we attract the most talented and committed students locally, nationally and internationally.
NSCD hosts just over 200 full-time students. Its Further and Higher Education provision encompasses courses at foundation, undergraduate andpostgraduate level. At 75% of the whole cohort, those enrolled on the undergraduate degree course represent the largest sector of the student body.
Access and Value
The vast majority of students will not be required to pay the full cost of intensive professional training; information on student contributions to fees can be found on the school website. Our courses are significantly different to most university courses. Comparably, our contact hours are high and students also benefit from working with guest teachers and choreographers, who are established dance artists/practitioners. Our facilities are professional standard and our employment rates meet stringent government targets.
NSCD remains committed to the widening access mission integral to the vision of its founding Principal, pioneering educationalist Nadine Senior MBE. We aim to recruit the best students from across the UK, Europe and internationally, whatever their backgrounds. Dance talent crosses boundaries of social, economic, educational, geographic and ethnic difference.
The diversity in our student body enriches the life of the school, feeding creativity and the cross-fertilisation of ideas. We encourage anyone worried about student finance to seek further information on our website as the school offers a package of financial support.
Breadth of Opportunities
The regular professional, student and community performances at the Riley Theatre and NSCD’s Learning and Participation (L&P) provision after observation, support work and other employment opportunities for students. This NSCD L&P provision includes pre-vocational training with Yorkshire Young Dancers Centre for Advanced Training and weekly dance classes for all ages and abilities.
The school also regularly hosts regionally based artists or rehearsal periods, building links with professionals in the dance community, who offer extra-curricular activities to NSCD students, including workshops, careers talks and open classes/rehearsals and auditions. A breadth of activity across the dance and arts community provides a myriad of developmental and employment opportunities for our students and graduates.
Why choose NSCD?
Housed in a vibrant local neighbourhood of Leeds, a 15-minute walk from the city centre, our home is a bespoke architectural site, based around a Grade II listed former synagogue.
Taster days provide access to classes and the opportunity to talk to staff and students.
Top 10 reasons to Choose NSCD
– Practice-based training incorporating daily technique classes, plenty of time in the studio and regular performance opportunities
– Friendly atmosphere in which students feel part of a community
– Outstanding support and encouragement for different kinds of learners. Our student learning support, particularly for students with dyslexia and or dyspraxia, is exemplary for conservatoire training
– Value for money. Leeds has been coted one of the most cost effective places to study in Britain
– Teaching staff are highly experiences arts professionals and ensure that our students receive exert coaching and advice
– A diverse, creative and intimate environment where full-time students interact with visiting professional companies, local artists and community class participants of all ages
– A growing international reputation that attracts individuals from across the UK, Europe and worldwide. NSCD’s current student population comes from 26 different countries, with 30% of students coming in from outside the UK
– State-of-the-art training facilities include 7 large dance studios plus a superb theatre, lighting studio, café and a well-stocked library.
– A diverse student population. We welcome applicants from a wide variety of backgrounds
– Opportunities to learn and work with NSCD’s L&P department to increase teaching, engagement and networking skills
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact Northern School of Contemporary Dance directly.