Accessibility links

Welcome to UTC Swindon


UTC Swindon opened its doors in September 2014 and was officially opened by The Duke of York KG. Its vision is to be a college where engineering and innovation can flourish.

About us

Catering for 600 14 to 19 year olds interested in pursuing a career in engineering, UTC Swindon provides a fantastic opportunity to gain highly desirable skills and raise young people’s aspirations in progressing to careers in the engineering industry in all its diverse forms.

By providing a high quality technical education from an early age, UTCs nationwide are a vital, active and additional educational choice for young people who will help to fill the UK skills gap. Across the UK, other UTCs are opening, reintroducing the option of a specialist technical education.

UTC Swindon is run by a Trust sponsored by Johnson Matthey Fuel Cells and Oxford Brookes University. There are over 90 different industry partners involved with the University Technical College.

UTC Swindon occupies a new, £10 million state-of-the-art facility, with the Old School Building and the iconic Water Tower featuring prominently. Both structures, which are Grade II listed, have been treated sympathetically, with the Water Tower being restored and brought back into educational use.

As parts of the site’s industrial heritage, The Old School Building and the iconic Water Tower are key features. The Water Tower was restored and brought back into educational use, creating an inspirational and iconic environment.

UTC Swindon is a vocational setting, preparing young people for the world of work with an industry-based curriculum from 8.30 am to 5.30 pm Monday to Thursday, finishing at 4.30 pm on Fridays – just like being at work. The aim is for students develop a work ethic, with no ‘homework’ apart from exam revision although of course students will be able to access their learning online outside these hours for independent study.

Learning is achieved through employer set ‘projects’ which will tackle real industry issues. Students are grouped into learning companies where they will learn to act and behave in teams. These companies will provide pastoral support and will act as a vehicle for enterprise, competition and performance management. Engineering employers will provide project support and work experience.

Alongside engineering, all 14 – 16 year olds will take core subjects at GCSE and relevant A levels will be on offer at Post-16. There is a wide range of enrichment activities and physical education.

Industry partners, supporting UTC Swindon include BMW UK Manufacturing Ltd, Alcatel-Lucent, Halcrow Group Ltd, Honda of the UK Manufacturing, Intel Corp UK Ltd, Network Rail, Nationwide Building Society, and Thames Water.

No students miss out on the core curriculum or basic qualifications. For 14–16 year old students (Key Stage 4), technical studies account for 40% of the curriculum with the other 60% spent on core subjects. Learning covers aspects of the major disciplines in engineering – chemical, civil, electrical, mechanical. In addition, all students study a range of GCSEs including mathematics, English and science, with options to do a modern foreign language. For post-16 students (Key Stage 5) technical studies account for 60% of the curriculum and core studies 40%, with relevant A Levels on offer for progression to university. Excellent careers guidance is available, particularly for support into higher level engineering courses and employment in the sector.

All students also have time dedicated to physical education, citizenship, careers education and guidance, and personal, health and social education. Work experience is also very important as a key part of the curriculum and student experience.

Facilities available

The new educational environment has been designed to enhance the curriculum through the use of multi-functional spaces. The campus includes dedicated workshops and multi-use electronics and product design suites as well as an IT / CAD suite. Students can also expect broadband wireless access across the whole UTC campus.

How to apply

If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact UTC Swindon directly.

Last updated date: 30 June 2015
Provider logo

Key information

Venues