Welcome to The University of Birmingham School
The University of Birmingham School Sixth Form is an academically selective Sixth Form open to students from across Birmingham and its surrounding communities.
Find out more and download our Prospectus:
Our vision is to create a learning community that will transform lives by raising the aspirations of a very diverse student population, thereby maximising students' personal and academic growth to fulfil their potential and access the widest possible range of opportunities. Joining us in the Sixth Form is your opportunity to help shape the ethos of the School, and help us make educational history.
Our School is characterised by:
- An overarching framework in Character Education which will build students' confidence, resilience and personal qualities so that they are able to become self-organised and motivated learners able to make the most of their curriculum opportunities;
- A diverse enrichment programme, which will expose students to a diverse range of extra-curricular opportunities to develop their skills and knowledge in support of job and university applications, and;
- A traditional academic subject-based curriculum which will use a carefully formulated blend of content and process to help students attain the highest possible outcomes.
This approach is shaped by our belief that maximising a students' potential is not just about giving them knowledge, but about shaping the whole person, including their personal capabilities and character through enrichment activities, a thoughtful and engaged system of pastoral care, and a community including older students, teachers, trainee teachers, and mentors and coaches from the University's own students and staff.
Applying to our Sixth Form
All applications should be made directly through the application form on our website. The deadline for applications is 28 January 2019. All applications will be processed after this date.
Our entry requirements
- At least 5 GCSEs, in any subject at Grade 5
- At least a Grade 5 at GCSE in the subjects you want to study at A Level (or 8 in Mathematics if you wish to also study Further Mathematics).
- If you have not studied one of your A Level subject choices at GCSE, we will require a 7 in a related subject (such as in Mathematics to study Computer Science).
- At least a Grade 4 at GCSE in English Language and Mathematics.
If the school is oversubscribed, you may need to achieve at least a Grade A, or a 7, at GCSE in the subjects that you want to study.
- A dedicated Sixth Form Centre, including a social area, study space and careers office
- Larger than average classrooms and laboratories
- Specialist areas for many subjects, including: eight fully equipped Science laboratories and science ‘Super Labs’; Design and Technology workshops with state of the art equipment; a Graphics Studio furnished with a suite of iMacs, digital SLRs, and relevant software; a Music Studio and rehearsal room, with recording and editing equipment in addition to a wide range of instruments
- A range of laptops, iPads and iPods used in lessons
- A site-wide wireless network, which Sixth Form are able to access with their own devices
- Access to world-leading subject experts at the University of Birmingham, who run guest lectures, workshops and provide academic support to our teachers
- Access to specialist University facilities, including the Bramall Music Building and Barber Institute of Fine Art
- A large and welcoming central atrium where pupils, staff and visitors meet, gather and eat together
- A light, spacious and peaceful Library, for reading and independent study
- Sports Hall, Drama Studio and Activity Studio, equipped for a range of performing arts and sporting activities
- Access to the University playing fields, Sports Centre and Swimming Pool
- An all-weather floodlit MUGA outdoor pitch
How to apply
If you want to apply for courses, you will need to contact The University of Birmingham School directly.